+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What’s in a chant?

What’s in a chant?

I recently had reason to reminisce on a memorable trip to Deepdale. The game ended 3-2 to Burnley with a beautiful curler from Glen Little sandwiched between two goals from King Arthur including an absolutely spectacular winner where he just carved through the Preston defence. Burnley fans were in good voice from the off and not unexpectedly announced their presence with a chorus of “sh*t ground, no fans”. Mild enough stuff you would think but not for one of the stewards who was all for chucking out these “offenders”. Well if that’s the case I thought there aren’t going to be many of us left in the away end! Recalling that day has got me thinking about chants. Against Leicester we deployed what might be called the “own goal” chant. Jamie Vardy your wife is a grass was almost guaranteed to fire up a predatory marksman like Vardy to score and he duly obliged. More recently Christian Eriksen while playing for his country was taunted with a chant that one of his Spurs teammates was “sh*gging your wife”. Not to my taste but hey ho and it’s lucky that PNE steward wasn’t there or he’d have had an apoplectic fit.

That's what our away days are made of outwood!

That steward was way ahead of the time as the PC brigade nowadays jump on every little word, action and gesture to more often than not suit their theory.

I remember a player, he was called Ted McDougal, when he came to the Turf a bag of McDougal's flour was thrown onto the pitch near him, and also Mick Docherty getting the chant of whose your father sh@gging now when his Dad Tommy was caught playing away, all good adult fun, now the Police will waste more resources and money trying to find these so called out of order people, but with Football players now actually full of cheats diving about like 8 year old girls and nobody being able to tackle anymore the game has gone to sh!te just like the world in general, and I have not even mentioned the Governing bodies or VAR.

I still chuckle at one of a couple of our chants away at Brighton many years ago.

"We can see you holding hands"
    and
    "You only sing when you're rimmin"

I can't remember the exact teams involved but we were losing at Millwall, the home end were singing "Going down with the Swindon",
    quick as a flash the Clarets fans replied with, "So are we, so are we!"

There was one from the 70s, it's supposed to be true, but I wasn't there so I can't vouch for it. A cat ran onto the field during a game at Anfield, and the Kop immediately started chanting,

A cat
    A cat
    Acatacatacat.

I like it though!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)