+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Review

Euro 2020 Review

Euro 2020 championships: the aftermath

Italy were worthy victors. What did we learn?

• Stadium security at Wembley needs looking at if ticketless fans were able to storm the turnstiles and gain access to the ground. This follows the recent incursion at Old Trafford prior to the Manchester United v Liverpool fixture which caused an abandonment. There was also the disturbing use of a laser pen during the England v Denmark game.
    • The racial abuse of Rashford Sancho and Saka after the penalty shoot out defeat to Italy is totally unacceptable. The blame lies fair and square with Southgate for the choice of penalty takers and their preparedness. It also highlights the view of many that taking the knee has done nothing to halt the spectre of racism in the game. To the dismay of many who oppose this gesture they are instantly labelled racist. If some kind of “national healing” is supposed to have been taking place there is a long long way to go.
    • It was an enjoyable run to the final. Give the players credit for that and Southgate too but when crunch came to crunch England were simply not good enough. Fans, inured to decades of failure, were left with humiliating egg all over their faces once more. Football did not come home. The arrogant English a laughing stock yet again.
    • Mancini got the big decisions right when it mattered and Southgate floundered, stuck with his “idee fixe” that he still needed two defensive midfielders when taking off the excellent Declan Rice. If Kane and Sterling failed to shine Mancini knew how to neutralise them. Pickford had a good tournament but is certainly not ideal and you wonder at his antics throwing tantrums like a three year old whose favourite toy has been snatched in the playground by another child. For all the England team achieved I am not sure how many of them would be worthy of a place in a combined team of the tournament. The one who could have turned the second half tide against Italy -Grealish - was introduced far, far too late into the proceedings. For Grealish, Foden, Saka and Sancho amongst others there will be future tournaments but I fear they were underused in Euro 2020.
    • The feeling at the end of the tournament is one of immense disappointment. I still remember vividly the World Cup Final in July 1966. Listening intently on the car radio with my father as we headed north from our home in Hampshire to Manchester. The commentator’s curse towards the end of normal time “Surely West Germany will not score now” to the exhilaration of victory in extra time. Nail biting stuff. Boys Own stuff. “Some people think it’s all over. It is now!”. Euro 2020 finally ground to a halt in 2021 but will not live so long in the memory.

Excellent review Outwood, I'd just like to add that we also learnt that the way our top referees operate, and the way we use VAR in the Premier League, leaves a lot to be desired. By and large the refs did well, they tried their best to keep the games flowing and the use of VAR was kept to a minimum, it was not too intrusive. You'd hope lessons would be learnt here, and we'll see a much needed improvement next season, but I won't be holding my breath.

Outwood ---excellent review as usual, however. compare this final to the last one in which England featured, both lasting 2 hours!
    This final:- Possession England 35% Italy 65%: Shots:- England 6 Italy 19 ---on target Engalnd 2 Italy 6: Corners England 5 Italy 3: Final Score 1-1 aet and Italy win on penalties. England scored 11 goals and conceded 2 and Italy scored 13 goals and conceded 4.

1966 WC Final:- Possession England 51% West Germany 49%: Shots England 31 Germany 31 ---on target Engalnd 11 Germany 10: Corners England 6 Germany 10 Final Score 4-2 aet. England scored 11 and conceded 3 in 6 matches and Germany scored 15 and conceded 6.

They say that football is far better these days, however, how often will you see a match with 62 shots, this was 45 after 90 minutes? We are talking about a World Cup Final which, for those of us who were there and indeed for those watching or listening anywhere, was an excellent, exciting game. Last night's game did not come anywhere near to fulfilling my expectations, even after the excellent start that we made.

Italy won the Euros by beating both Spain and England on penalties.

I wondered if they were playing for penalties in their last two games?

I would rather have a "Golden Goal", but hey ho.

Southgate lost last night big time and listening to him today he knows it but he wont learn because he said the same spiel after we lost to Croatia in 2018.
    I wish the FA would appoint Eddie Howe at least it is entertaining win or lose when his sides play not negative dross like Southgate.

At half time Jurgen Klinsmann said he hoped Southgate would "go for it" , not sit back, but get the second goal and win the game.

Having been born with no positive cojones is not the ideal psychological make-up for a football manager, Mancini has plenty Southgate has none.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post

The racial abuse of Rashford Sancho and Saka after the penalty shoot out defeat to Italy is totally unacceptable. The blame lies fair and square with Southgate for the choice of penalty takers and their preparedness. It also highlights the view of many that taking the knee has done nothing to halt the spectre of racism in the game. To the dismay of many who oppose this gesture they are instantly labelled racist. If some kind of “national healing” is supposed to have been taking place there is a long long way to go.
    completely agree that racial abuse was unacceptable - and this taking the knee farce has done little to end it...but then why would it, as what does it matter to the tiny minority of mean narrow-minded egomaniacs that live by the energy of hate to satisfy their anger - they'll look for any excuse to attack and abuse others, scoff at goodness, why ? - because they're mentally retarded.....and stirred by the media and government filth - promoting the xenephobia by acting as if we're going to war - with a football - poking the online rats nest (gchq cyber force?)....who find it funny to wind folk up with their infantile games, stoke divison and inflate the lunacy.
    ...and odd to me that posts against the mainstream convid narrative can been taken down in minutes, accounts suspended - yet these fractious pigs are given free reign ?

as for the game, am not in a position to comment, was otherwise engaged - and for the competition, on whole, for the most - Laughable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    ...and odd to me that posts against the mainstream convid narrative can been taken down in minutes, accounts suspended - yet these fractious pigs are given free reign ?
    Makes you wonder doesn't it Norder, they can close down the President of the USA when it suits them, but racist halfwits can post their bilge as and when they like. Something a bit fishy about that.

The Prime Minister said it was OK for fans to boo the England team taking the knee, the Home Secretary said she opposes "political gestures" from England international footballers, and the three black English penalty failures hardly displayed their "piccaninnies water melon smiles".

The hypocrisy from from the top table of England's politicians is nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The Prime Minister said it was OK for fans to boo the England team taking the knee
    Which indeed it is, thank god there's a least one politician who understands that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)