+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Ray Illingworth

RIP Ray Illingworth

Another stalwart of the golden era of Yorkshire cricket is gone. RIP to an archetypical Yorkshireman.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59789915

Great captain of England R I P

Yes, one of the greats from the glory days of Yorkshire

When you had to be born there to play for them

Time for a rest in the pavilion ‘owd lad

R.I.P. One of Yorkshire's cricket greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    When you had to be born there to play for them
    As a t.eenager I flirted with county cricket and to this day, when we are together my cousin still tells people I would have played for Yorkshire if I hadn't been at the wrong club (Upper Haugh). These days, working with many people from India, it's not long before the subject of cricket is raised. I am always quick to tell them that Sachin Tendulkar (who is obviously a God to them) was the first person not born in Yorkshire to play for them and in fact he probably prevented me from getting in the team. The fact that timing is off by almost 15 years is a minor detail and a little embellishment never did any harm

R.I.P Ray a yorkshire and England cricket legend for anyone old enough to remember, which is probably 99.9% of people on here.

Ray was on TV very recently saying he wanted to be able to choose when he died as he had a terminal illness and didn't want to endure pain and indignity unnecessarily or be a burden on others.
    It was a tough interview to listen to so although the news of Ray's passing is very sad it is also comforting to know that he didn't suffer for too much longer.
    RIP a great captain of Yorkshire and England.