+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60’s and 70’s favourite tv shows

60’s and 70’s favourite tv shows

After the massive success of the favourite 70’s sweets thread I wondered what tv shows did you watch as a kid?

Watch with mother,Tales of the riverbank,the adventures of Robin Hood,Andy Pandy,Bill and Ben,Playaway,Clangers and that animal program with Johnny Morris doing all the voices was all on our tv back in the day and not forgetting the master of them all Gerry Anderson,Thunderbirds,Joe 90,Stingray I loved them all

Remember folks,Muffin the Mule isn’t a criiminal offence

You seem to be doing a lot of reminiscing this week Chalky!

Some quick memories:-

The Woodentops (with Spotty Dog).
    Animal Magic (Johnny Morris)
    Vision On (Tony Hart).
    Blue Peter (Valerie Singleton, John Noakes and Peter Purvert).
    Crackerjack (Leslie Crowther).
    How (Fred Dinenage)
    Morecambe and Wise.
    Benny Hill.
    Please Sir (John Alderton)
    The Avengers (Diana Rigg as Emma Peel )

Aye the trouble is that when I’m listening to some music at night my mind starts to wander (or should that be wonder) about stuff and as I live on my own need to share with someone

Animal Magic,that’s the Johnny Morris one that I was thinking of,that was a great show for animal loving kids back in the day,Vision On is also a great show as it wasn’t until later that I learnt that it was made for the deaf,it was that good it appealed to both sets of viewers,now days they would just add subtitles
    How was also a great informative program but I seem to recall a show all about numbers with possibly Johnny Ball presented which bored me stupid and I thought that it was like being back at school,Think of a Number it may have been?

Have no recollection of Johnny Ball other than on Playschool.

Always had a soft spot for his daughter Zoe though!

Can you remember some of the dubbed foreign language programmes they occasionally showed during Childrens Hour?

I can't recall the names but one I liked was based on Robinson Crusoe (and Man Friday).

Another had a theme tune with the words "my white horses snowy white horses, let me ride away".

White Horses was the theme to a tv show also called White Horses (I think) it was sung by Jackie Lee and was a hit single at the time,Jackie Lee sang the theme to Rupert the Bear which was also a hit

You are right,there used to be a few tv shows that was dubbed back in the day,everything from Magic Roundabout to Monkey and I’m guessing that it was cheaper to import them than make them

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post

I can't recall the names but one I liked was based on Robinson Crusoe (and Man Friday).
    We used to watch a series like this on a Saturday morning at the Metropole cinema which I used to love going to,weirdly I think the reels must have got mixed up one week as I can distinctly remember watching some French short film all about a man that couldn’t get out of a phone box,after a while a lorry came along and picked the phone box up with him inside bit and drove to a yard where there was dozens of other phone boxes with people trapped in them,not your usual Tom and Jerry stuff that we watched

All of those.

Not TV, but I remember as a kid going to the pictures to see Pollyanna starring Hayley Mills, and she turned up on Death in Paradise last Sunday. Haven’t seen her in decades.

Chalky, I also need to mention what good value you are on here.

Funnily enough I spotted Haley Mills in a movie called Arthur’s Whiskey this week that is on Sky now,she was great in Whistle down the Wind when she was a kid

Thanks for the compliment griff but I suspect that it’s sarcasm right? Tbh I don’t mind coz I take what I can get 👍
    Last edited by chaincey.ncfc; 16-02-2024 at 11:07 PM.

The only thing I can really remember Hayley Mills in was a British film called The Family Way.

Just checked on Wikipedia to ensure my memory is not playing tricks but it says the film was a comedy (1966) "about a couple having difficulty consummating their marriage".

I can't remember the music but apparently the film features "a score by Paul McCartney and arrangements by Beatles producer George Martin".

By the way, Chalky, Griff is 100% correct.

You will always be welcome on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)