+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Director of Football

Director of Football

Seen a lot of talk about the players we could get or our managerial possibilities (as the current incumbent simply cannot be allowed to stay) but very little mention anywhere of a Director of Football.

The current belief is that we are now (and I am still trying to get my head around this) going to be embarking on a journey to becoming probably the foremost club in world football and I don't think that that can be done with a single person in the shape of a manager controlling all aspects of the club: tactics, selection, training, recruitment, training facilities, youth academy etc.

Unfortunately I cannot suggest any names, but it needs to be somebody that is well respected in world football and who is thoroughly grounded in the workings of modern football and what a club needs both on and just as importantly off the pitch (no more bloody paddling pools!).

Any ideas?

Ralf Rangnik is the current fave for the role.

He is the one who launched RB Leipzig.

He is currently Sporting Director at Locomotive Moscow.

I'd be happy with him to start with

Aye Rangnick would be my first choice for the role. Good interview with him here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uNMyaB0DPI

Noticed we're also being linked with Phil Giles at Brentford. He was born in Newcastle and is a former season ticket holder:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/10/1...ed-phil-giles/

Yep-it's a hugely important decision-but one I expect these people to get right.

Everything I have heard from them has been incredibly impressive...and I don't just mean in terms of their plans and ambitions for us but in the way they conduct themselves and in the calm but steely-eyed way they know exactly what they want and how to get it.

Rangnick looks like a good shout

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Yep-it's a hugely important decision-but one I expect these people to get right.

Everything I have heard from them has been incredibly impressive...and I don't just mean in terms of their plans and ambitions for us but in the way they conduct themselves and in the calm but steely-eyed way they know exactly what they want and how to get it.
    Well they are real successful business people used to dealing in billions unlike our former owner, a jumped-up self-opinionated barrow boy.

Well whoever we get in will be an improvement on Lee Charnley (with his £675,000 per year wage). I think SpongeBob SquarePants would do a better job than him. Obviously the Director of Football will actually be backed by the new owners and have money to spend which is a big difference

Can tell the difference already, These guys want to surround themselves with football people. Ashley only wanted yes men around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    Can tell the difference already, These guys want to surround themselves with football people. Ashley only wanted yes men around him.
    So true.

To me it's logical to get the sporting director in first and then discuss the new manger with him.....rather than appoint the manager first and then the sporting director after. Their relationship is going to be very important for the future success of the club so hopefully this is the way they'll go about things

Rangnick and Favre would certainly have a lot of experience between them if it is them the new owners appoint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)