+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Squad, Going Forward

Our Squad, Going Forward

Just for interest, I have set out our current options (without considering other very promising Under-18s):

GK: Steele/Raya/Fisher
    RB: Nyambe/Henley/Lowe/Travis
    CB: Greer/Hoban/Mulgrew/Ward/Lenihan/Brown/Wharton/Travis/Platt/Magloire **
    LB: Williams/Hendrie/Lowe/Askew/Doyle
    RM/RW: Feeney/Mahoney/Bennett/Thomson
    DM: Lowe/Lenihan/Mulgrew/Akpan
    Up-and-Down CM: Evans/Guthrie/Mulgrew/Akpan
    Creative/Attacking CM: Tomlinson/Hardcastle/Rankin-Costello/Grayson
    LM/LW: Conway/Bennett/Mahoney
    CF: Graham/Gallagher/Emnes/Stokes/Joao/Mansell/Howarth

** Do we really need to sign another?

For this purpose, I have only included those with first-team squad numbers. Where a player is capable of playing in more than one position, I have included him twice.

It is a puzzle to me that we have signed another striker, and that we were looking to bring in an extra centre-half!
    All of our creative midfielders, centrally, are youngsters, although I suppose Guthrie and Mulgrew could be included, at a push.
    The future looks quite promising, but I find it hard to believe that we did not bring in an experienced creative player, even if it was only on loan or a one-year contract. That would surely have enhanced our survival prospects more than a dodgy, Celtic-reject centre-back!

EDIT: Actually, looking through that list again, it strikes me that we perhaps have too many versatile utility players, and not enough people who COMMAND a particular position.

Did you see that Scott Wharton was awarded "man-of-the-match" on his debut for Cambridge United?
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 05-02-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Late News

Scott Wharton getting man of the match is no surprise he will be a decent player for us down the line
    back to the rest of the thread if you pick at the bones of it we might have squad full of options however its a squad short of quality
    this is why we are where we are.

Another two 'crackers' by Tom Lawrence I note !!!

Re: the thread, yes quite right quite a few 'utility type' players. That in effect can render them very much of a muchness!
    What I crave is a born and bred midfield Dynamo with vision.
    The through ball from CM to SG within his first 5 mins or so is just what's required .
    As Aucks says when played the defender has to first turn to 'play it', and if our man is on his shoulder he holds the advantage to strike.

On current form, what about a "safer" team of:
    Steele
    Lowe Greer Lenihan Williams
    Feeney Guthrie Akpan Mulgrew Mahoney
    Gallagher
    ??

Conway or Bennett for mulgrew
    mulgrew next to Guthrie and Bob's your uncle.

On a slightly different topic, we really need to get this lad, Daniel Butterworth, on a contract as soon as possible. He is obviously an absolutely natural goalscorer. Did you read the description of his latest goal?

Over to Senior? Lets see what he's made of.

Another excellent performance by the Development Team. Coming out on top against a full National League outfit is impressive.
    It sounds as if the keeper, Fisher, was outstanding.
    That made me think about Raya. It must be a strange life. He is not in that Under-23(21?) team any more, so he just sits on the bench for the first team. I know the money's good, but it must feel like treading water. Actually, because of the culls and the long-term injuries, we don't have as many outfield players in that situation as we used to. Brown and Stokes, perhaps?

It was a very good result aucks and really is a testament to just how great a job Johnson and Dunn are doing with the academy
    if you look at the the team that played I would say at least half of them are knocking on the door of the senior team
    excellent work and progress a real shinning light in the thick gloom.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)