+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local owners for Blues?

Local owners for Blues?

My Dad (a Blues fan) tells me that there is growing speculation that a consortium of local business men may take over Birmingham City from their less than liked Chinese ownership, including a pledge to rebuild their failing stands. Anyone else heard about this? If true, might make us a tad jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    My Dad (a Blues fan) tells me that there is growing speculation that a consortium of local business men may take over Birmingham City from their less than liked Chinese ownership, including a pledge to rebuild their failing stands. Anyone else heard about this? If true, might make us a tad jealous
    Blues are valued at 35 million with half a ground that needs rebuilding and have debts, thats the difference between us.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    Blues are valued at 35 million with half a ground that needs rebuilding and have debts, thats the difference between us.

Can’t see how we would be valued much more than Blues. Their support has huge potential - 2nd largest City etc. A lot needs doing to our ground too ie West Stand needs hugely improving - corners of both ends need to be developed. You could also argue our debts for locked in lengthy useless player contracts are far worse than Blues and leave us exposed for any further recruitment!

Lai would be jolly lucky to get 100 million for our club and to think that bald c unt pocketed 180 million plus huge bonuses and consultancy fees! The bald one must be laughing like Zohore for money for old rope!!!!

I wonder if Sir Tony Gallagher still maintains an interest ?

I think it would be an extremely chancy business investment to value Albion at anywhere near £100M...
    Having no debt for a football club is a rare luxury but thats all really.........
    Our main asset is having no "On the books" debt.....

I think Blues are one of the best potential clubs in the U.K. to purchase.

The right mega wealthy owner would have a massive opportunity when you consider what Man City have done as the “poor relation” in Manchester.

In the 70’s Blues could get gates of 56,000.

There is potential there and they could represent real value compared to a lot of clubs.

A second city club is a massive opportunity IMO.

In many ways I would have thought that we are a more attractive proposition than Birningham. Historically, we are rated as the 10th to 12th most successful English football club. Our ground needs far less renovation than theirs. We have no or little debt. Admitedly they have the potential for larger crowds but if you look at past records we outdo them consistently regarding attendances. Of course the other advantage Blues have over us is that they would cost any potential buyer less to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I think Blues are one of the best potential clubs in the U.K. to purchase.

The right mega wealthy owner would have a massive opportunity when you consider what Man City have done as the “poor relation” in Manchester.

In the 70’s Blues could get gates of 56,000.

There is potential there and they could represent real value compared to a lot of clubs.

A second city club is a massive opportunity IMO.
    I don't recall Blues getting gates of 56,000 back in the seventies. Manchester United didn't get that. But you are right about the potential of Blues being a big city club.
    They have always been second rate though with little in the way of trophies or traditions.
    They are probably better known for their Zulu warriors than their football heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I don't recall Blues getting gates of 56,000 back in the seventies. Manchester United didn't get that. But you are right about the potential of Blues being a big city club.
    They have always been second rate though with little in the way of trophies or traditions.
    They are probably better known for their Zulu warriors than their football heritage.
    Check back to around 1972 when Blues got promoted withFrancis and Hatton Des and you’ll see they got gates in the late 40’s and 50,000’s.

I think the first Derby v Villa in that era had 56,000 or 58,000 attending.

Local derbies were different. In the late sixties early seventies we used to get over 40,000 for the games with Wolves and Villa. We used to get the same v Manchester United.
    Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton always pulled around 35,000.
    Our lowest crowd was always Burnley, around 18-20,000.
    Towards the end of the decade football hooliganism almost destroyed the game. Crowds fell alarmingly.
    European champions Forest only got around 22,000.
    The crowds have never really returned apart from those at the top six. I doubt they ever will.
    I was in the last 40,000+ crowd at the Hawthorns. We will never see those gates again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)