+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAO EuroMeister

FAO EuroMeister

You will have been pleased to see that Scotland's UEFA co-efficient has risen so much this season that we have moved up from 26th last year to 20th this year.

There is every chance we could end up even higher, because Serbia are in 19th and they only have Red Star left playing.

Excellent. We have jumped Belarus.

Now that's progress

I thought someone said that they were scrapping the co-efficient for club draws.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I thought someone said that they were scrapping the co-efficient for club draws.
    Wishful thinking I'm afraid

Getting up to 20th is no big deal in the sense of extra benefits to Aberdeen. If Scotland get to 18th (equivalent of 5 more wins than Cyprus and 3 more than Serbia) then can enter in one later round if finish second/third (fat lot of good that did us this year). Really need to get to 15th for a significant benefit (fifth team in Europe and 2 in Champions League) but that needs 11 more wins than Switserland (plus various extra wins over all other countries 16th to 19th) so basically isn't going to happen this year. Scotland need to be 12th to get a team straight into Europa League (15 wins behind Austria).

These extra wins aren't going to happen and even if they did would benefit the team that got the wins far more than us so no reason that I can see to want celtic/sevco to qualify out of their group

I notice BATE Borisov are still in the Fairs Cup. Say they won it. Does that mean Belarus could jump Scotland again?

Nae sure how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    I notice BATE Borisov are still in the Fairs Cup. Say they won it. Does that mean Belarus could jump Scotland again?

Nae sure how it works
    Ok for fear of being called an anorak here goes.

Each country gets points for winning or drawing games or getting bonus points for reaching certain stages of both competitions. Prior to group stages each win worth 1 point and each draw 0.5 points. From group stages onwards you get 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw. The coefficient for a country for each year is calculated by adding up all points earned by all teams and then dividing by the number of teams that entered at start of competition. You get the same points for a win/draw in Champions League as you do in Europa. Bonus points are more generous in Champions League.

So to answer your question on Belarus they could certainly catch us as could Norway and Sweden but unlikely anyone else. From here forward each win by celtic/sevco adds 0.5 to our coefficient (2 pts divided by 4 teams) and each draw 0.25. Same for Belarus/Norway/Sweden and indeed Cyprus/Serbia above us as all countries have 4 teams at start. Czech republic only get 0.2/0.1 for a win/draw as they had 5 teams at start.

Belarus are just 0.25 behind us which is the equivalent of 1 draw so to catch us BATE would need 1 more draw than celtic/sevco combined, possible but probably not likely I would guess. Likewise for us to overtake Serbia, celtic/sevco would need 5 pts (2 wins/1 draw or 1 win/3draws etc) more than Red Star or god forbid to reach the quarters (next stage of bonus points in Europa).

Hope that helps and before anyone says, yes I know I am sad knowing how it works!!!