+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin deal U turn

Martin deal U turn

According to reports Chris Martin may not be going on loan to Sunderland but a permanent move to former loan club Fulham - External Link

Definitely will not be going to Fulham

I honestly can’t remember any footballer proving quite so complex as far as the transfer market is concerned. He’s been handled badly imo by a couple of managers. Pearson wanted rid while McClaren saw him as the second coming and then gave him his current ridiculous contract. Now his complete lack of pace finds him surplus to requirement by Rowett, which at least makes tactical sense...just wish all concerned would make their minds up and stop costing us £30k each week for sfa.

ramAnag. What a mess this is turning out to be the two people who caused most of it no linger at the club Not sure how this going to end Sunderland and Reading only want him on loan till the end of the season . Derby will not agreed they want 18 months CM holding out for Fulham or Wolves but neither want him I can see this costing us a lot of money one way or another May even prevent us bringing someone in but I hope not

It is a mess, mista. Can only imagine that Martin’s agent was much more on the ball than the club’s financial representatives.
    He was very good for Derby for a couple of seasons, Sept’ 2013 - Feb’ 2015 basically, but has been taking us for a ride for a while now, imo.
    All this, ‘he’s been a great servant to the club’ stuff is b******s imo. He was very good for a while but was handsomely rewarded and since he signed his latest, astonishingly lucrative, contract he seems to have offered us nothing.
    The likes of Kevin Hector, Steve Powell and Roy McFarland were ‘great servants’ not someone who gets paid more than the annual average wage each bloody week for doing sod all.
    Still, at least Shackell is off the wage bill.

ramAnag. He's not been a great servant at all He never had to go to Fulham he was under, contract he chose to because he couldn't get his way with Pearson I'm sure your aware of where my wife works so I hear a lot that I can't repeat Some players would be banging on the managers door if they were not playing and some don't care I will leave it at that Shackell not entirely of the wage bill we are still paying part

You can't blame the lad one bit for his contract - that's what we offered him to play for our club. We also can't really blame him for not being suited to our changed style of play.

But we can blame him for attitude and plan to go forward - if he really believes he is getting a move to Wolves, and even if he is whether he will actually be more than the bench warmer he is here, then he is kidding himself. You can't blame him for trying to get his best option but that is just delusional. It might all be gossip and idle journalism but a sense of realism might help all, unless money is all that motivates the lad in which case he can always just sit on the bench and pretty much end his career with us. He needs to look in the mirror and ask himself what he realistically is on the market as, a top level Championship striker on the top of his game or a decent player who hasn't really done it (for whatever reason) for a couple of seasons.

That said, I'd be doing everything I could to resist a move to Sunderland - he'll have a nightmare there, isolated and unsupported.

No can't blame CM at all he's been given a ridiculous contract and he's making sure he is going to paid it one way or another He's never really struck me as someone who would care what other people think Not sure how this will end only that its going to cost dcfc because I can't see anybody buying him

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    its going to cost dcfc because I can't see anybody buying him
    That said, we got him on a free and he signed a 3.5yr deal for £30k. That's about £5.5m if he stays till the last day, minus anything that we get for him if we do sell him before that. I'd say we've had £5m of value out of him, in these crazy inflated days, and we've also done pretty well on sales of Ince, Hughes, Christie and Hendrick over the past year or so.

You're right, this is costing us money but I wouldn't put it in the same frame as Ravanelli or Burley in terms of the impact to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    That said, we got him on a free and he signed a 3.5yr deal for £30k. That's about £5.5m if he stays till the last day, minus anything that we get for him if we do sell him before that. I'd say we've had £5m of value out of him, in these crazy inflated days, and we've also done pretty well on sales of Ince, Hughes, Christie and Hendrick over the past year or so.

You're right, this is costing us money but I wouldn't put it in the same frame as Ravanelli or Burley in terms of the impact to the club.
    Not forgetting Calamity Claude!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)