+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology & Football

Technology & Football

Is technology the way forward?

Statistics seem to dominate everything now and Clubs,including ours,employ computer geeks to tell us how many passes were made,in which areas,how many were forward,who ran the most yards (metres),what percentage of the goals scored and conceded were from set-pieces etc etc. I am not a Rugby fan but I notice that coaches etc are watching computer screens more than they are watching the game and,I fear,that the day will come when Managers are not standing in their "boxes" but are glued to some computer screen in the dugout.

I once watched an International match involving Argentina and Juan Veron totally dominated the game from midfield but
    he didn't run around much.Karen Carney made a point on TV recently along the lines of "A good No.10 stands still a lot".
    Surely it's more about how effective they are and how they read the game but I suppose it's difficult to analyse that!!

I can’t see Bielsa doing that lol!
    Stats are useful indicators of good or bad in my experience outside football. They shouldn’t be used alone though, you need some common sense to interpret.
    The film Moneyball showed how American football could use stats to get players to win in a club where the manager wanted players, the scouts told them who and the chairman said I’ve no money. Easier there as lots of breaks and no one runs other than in a straight line to gain yards or score. The scouts got sacked.
    Out football stats are more complex and still evolving, but there’s no reason you couldn’t choose to analyse by lowest levels of distance run for a no 10, or keeper. It gets harder to judge certain things which need someone to decide what happened and tick the right boxes against the right players. Rubbish in rubbish out the first law of computing.

My son said Alex Arnold got hooked v Southampton - he hit a record number of times the ball was given away - 37 I think he said. Not sure the stats were needed for that or it was obvious to Klopp anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post

Statistics seem to dominate everything now and Clubs,including ours,employ computer geeks to tell us how many passes were made,in which areas,how many were forward,who ran the most yards (metres),what percentage of the goals scored and conceded were from set-pieces etc etc. I am not a Rugby fan but I notice that coaches etc are watching computer screens more than they are watching the game and,I fear,that the day will come when Managers are not standing in their "boxes" but are glued to some computer screen in the dugout.

I once watched an International match involving Argentina and Juan Veron totally dominated the game from midfield but
    he didn't run around much.Karen Carney made a point on TV recently along the lines of "A good No.10 stands still a lot".
    Surely it's more about how effective they are and how they read the game but I suppose it's difficult to analyse that!!
    One of the problems is that when you get a player who can pick out game changing passes the other member of his team have to be able to see and use that pass.

It was noticeable when Paul Gascoigne played for BFC, he made passes that would have been great if the player he was passing to had the vision to see the pass was coming and react to it otherwise it looked like he had completely misplaced the pass.

In recent times I think Steven Defour could have been such a player for BFC, if he had been given a free role to play such a style.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    One of the problems is that when you get a player who can pick out game changing passes the other member of his team have to be able to see and use that pass.

It was noticeable when Paul Gascoigne played for BFC, he made passes that would have been great if the player he was passing to had the vision to see the pass was coming and react to it otherwise it looked like he had completely misplaced the pass.

In recent times I think Steven Defour could have been such a player for BFC, if he had been given a free role to play such a style.
    Back in the day the much maligned Chris Waddle was exactly the same. As a player he was much too good for us, as a manager not so!

I thought the same of Adrian Heath.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Back in the day the much maligned Chris Waddle was exactly the same. As a player he was much too good for us, as a manager not so!
    As a Manager he was a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    As a Manager he was a complete idiot.
    ALto --did you really think that he was as good as that?

I don't think he managed us, it was Glenn Roeder, Waddle was too busy having his boots laced by Glen Little who was not worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post

It’s been working for Brentford Barrie for the last few years , in recruiting anyway.

I’m completely against all the sky b sh-t , I mean we’re watching the game I know if we only have 30% possession or how many chances we’ve created , or who’s running most - least .

I seem to remember we were one of the first to buck the trend when we beat Liverpool 2-0 with only 20% possession and 2 shots on target. Klopp couldn't understand it because he had won statistically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)