+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Battle of Brunanburh

O/T Battle of Brunanburh

Ive just read an article on the battle. I have no real interest in history of this sort. There is an idea it could have taken place in the Rotherham area. Is there a museum, information site or any reference of it in the town to signify / reference the battle.

The thing that struck me, I know its odd, but, in the year 937, without mobile phones, how would 3 armies from different parts of Britain know where and when to meet?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 25-08-2018 at 06:26 AM.

So far as I know there are no local references to the battle in the Rotherham area. The site has been disputed for many years and dozens of locations in England and Scotland have been suggested. The main advocate of a South Yorkshire location is the TV presenter and historian Michael Wood who suggested Brinsworth in his TV series, In Search of the Dark Ages and also in an academic article in 1983. Subsequently he has revised his opinion slightly and now favours a spot near the river Went. There is quite a bit of support for a site on the Wirral near Bromborough and the local council has used the name in street names and I think there are plaques etc. Other recent scholarship has suggested Burnswark Hill in Dumfreisshire and the river Browney near Lanchester.
    You are quite right to mention the problem of locating the enemy. Occasionally armies missed each other and one or both went home. Sometimes a battle was pre-arranged and on other occasions an army would adopt a defensive postion and wait for the other to find it. For Brunanburh the problem was slightly eased because we know that the anti-English coalition comprising armies from the Strathclyde Britons, the Scots of the kingdom of Alba and the Vikings from Dublin met up prior to the battle and raided widely in English territory.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    So far as I know there are no local references to the battle in the Rotherham area. The site has been disputed for many years and dozens of locations in England and Scotland have been suggested. The main advocate of a South Yorkshire location is the TV presenter and historian Michael Wood who suggested Brinsworth in his TV series, In Search of the Dark Ages and also in an academic article in 1983. Subsequently he has revised his opinion slightly and now favours a spot near the river Went. There is quite a bit of support for a site on the Wirral near Bromborough and the local council has used the name in street names and I think there are plaques etc. Other recent scholarship has suggested Burnswark Hill in Dumfreisshire and the river Browney near Lanchester.
    You are quite right to mention the problem of locating the enemy. Occasionally armies missed each other and one or both went home. Sometimes a battle was pre-arranged and on other occasions an army would adopt a defensive postion and wait for the other to find it. For Brunanburh the problem was slightly eased because we know that the anti-English coalition comprising armies from the Strathclyde Britons, the Scots of the kingdom of Alba and the Vikings from Dublin met up prior to the battle and raided widely in English territory.
    Sounds like Millwall fans planning an away day

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Sounds like Millwall fans planning an away day
    Very, very quiet on here today. I can only assume that either the Jezzer fans are in hiding or that all the guys who moan about too much money going to the Prem are watching a prem game on pay TV.

Wall to wall Premiership here in the US with every game live. Nice to see what little skill you need to 'earn' a million a year these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Wall to wall Premiership here in the US with every game live. Nice to see what little skill you need to 'earn' a million a year these days.
    Must say I'm surprised at the lack of interest in Brunanburh and the Masbrough Boat Tragedy of 1841. Even OneCheapMiller didn't follow up on his OP.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Must say I'm surprised at the lack of interest in Brunanburh and the Masbrough Boat Tragedy of 1841. Even OneCheapMiller didn't follow up on his OP.
    Might be the time difference, monty. He's seven hours ahead of you and when you replied it was probably coming up to Saturday evening in Hong Kong. There's hope still!

I found your reply very interesting actually - at least in a general sense; it's not a subject I know much about but, from the clues you've given in the past, I know it's an area of academic expertise for you.

Correct CT there is a time difference. I dont need to make excuses for myself. But I work that delays things and, often, I see the site but cant log on to reply.

I really appreciate Montys reply that is extremely interesting. I had every intention of followjng it up. But the guy is so extremely rude I wont bother. I dont get the need for childish name calling.

This happened so long ago that it's highly unlikely we'll ever find out where it took place.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Correct CT there is a time difference. I dont need to make excuses for myself. But I work that delays things and, often, I see the site but cant log on to reply.

I really appreciate Montys reply that is extremely interesting. I had every intention of followjng it up. But the guy is so extremely rude I wont bother. I dont get the need for childish name calling.
    Relax, I knew about the time difference - I was just bored as the only person on here yesterday. And the name thing was just a joke like when Mike calls me Monty Python. Childish name calling was de rigueur at my public school - it's a sign of affection. Nobody ever objects when loads of posters call Kempo Compo or Kempoo do they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast