+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lorimer

Lorimer

You folk would be in the know. Is he in financial trouble or something? Just read about Leeds possibly buying some of his memorabilia at auction for 20,000 pounds. If he isn't, then I think it a little rough, given what he would have earned from the club over the years. 🤐

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    You folk would be in the know. Is he in financial trouble or something? Just read about Leeds possibly buying some of his memorabilia at auction for 20,000 pounds. If he isn't, then I think it a little rough, given what he would have earned from the club over the years. 🤐
    Bates didn't line his pockets well enough maybe ? If it is because he's skint then no doubt he'll bemoan footballers of his day not being paid anything like today . No time for the guy personally .

The guy doesn't seem to appeal to certain people, but for me personally growing up in the early seventies the guy was a legend and one hell of a player!

Great news that the club is buying his stuff for a new museum for the centenary next year.

I agree with previous posters - he made mistakes with Bates etc, but at the end of the day he's a club legend and top scorer - hopefully the museum will be done well and be a really good addition to ER - i've often wondered why we don't have anything like that given our history.

Great player in the day, when I've been in his company he seems full of himself (nicest way I can put it!) not the sort of guy I could hang out with. If the museum gets up and on its feet it would be a excellent, I could see other players 'donating' there memorabilia. I could donate my bloodied scarf from the early seventies!!!

My obseveration, FWIW, is that more than a fair share of strikers are dicks. probably goes with territory of screaming at the mids "I'm open" when 3 defenders are on them.

of course you need that belief to be a great striker.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    The guy doesn't seem to appeal to certain people, but for me personally growing up in the early seventies the guy was a legend and one hell of a player!
    That was because of his attitude towards the fans during Bates reign and GFH reign, constantly supported everything they did regardless of the ramifications on the club, always peddling propaganda in the YEP as well, even seem to remember him undermining Grayson when he was in charge. I only know Lorimer from after his playing career sadly and my opinion of him isn't very high. Brilliant record and one of our best ever players though for sure, that can never be denied.

Not quite sure what's really going on regarding the sale..............
    To my husband he was one of the Revie immortals & for me the same even though I saw him at the latter end of his career he really was pretty special on the ball.
    I know he had his problems with drink & booze after he retired which cost him his marriage sadly too but help was given and he appeared to settle down one way or another and his family still in Wetherby rallied round support wise.
    The Bates situation didn't help but 'options' of income sometimes have to be taken.
    Rumours have been rife about his health & pictures of him lately don't look good and out of respect I hope he's okay and from myself and husband a really big thank you for the shifts & performances you gave as a player for Leeds United - those will never be forgotten Lash.
    MOT

I saw him through his whole vocation with us and he was brilliant as was the rest of the squad. I have his book which he signed for me, but he was a bit much after while. He lived over here for awhile, although I never spoke with him then. The Whitecaps were on about getting some of the old guys back for a grand opening of a new stadium......never materialized, I talked to him about it and he was miffed!! I hope he is in good health......he needed to lose some lbs!

A legend as a footballer for our club no doubt about it..as a person I can't say as I have never met the bloke but he did come across as a bit of a tw@t when Bates was owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)