+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday Norman Hunter

Happy Birthday Norman Hunter

Just that

Must be knocking on a bit now Norm .

Good manager or the beneficiary of Allan Clarke's work ?

Bit of both for me , dropped a right bollox signing Tony Cunningham to replace Clever Trevor , chalk n egg plant ( did I get away with that )

Start of the down slide once Trev went , never the same team after that .

Was it Hunter that got rid of Mick Mccarthy too?

I'd agree with that, Animal. Clarke set up the club, but Norman made the side his own and deserves to take the credit for the promotion to Div 2. The early 80's are my golden years - McCarthy, Glavin, Banks, Aylott, Parker. What a team that was.
    There's a nice "where are they now" article here (apologies if you've all seen it).

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featu...rs-up-1980-81/

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Was it Hunter that got rid of Mick Mccarthy too?

Yes and Ian Banks , Derrick Parker , although he did sign Billy Ronson , Larry May and David Geddis who were good players .

Why did he break up such a successful side. Was it financial or ego?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Why did he break up such a successful side. Was it financial or ego?
    Money played a part Steve , Aylott went to third division Millwall for more brass , nowt changes does it .

Macca gort injured and didn't walk back in to the side when he was fit and banged a transfer request in and was then sold to Man City for £200k .

Banks started to slap a bit of timber on and his form was up and down and he went to Leicester .

Big loss was when Parker got injured at Wendy and he wasn't the same player when he came back the next season .

Ian Evans too had to retire through injury and he was also a massive loss .

All seem to be over far too quickly and Norm had his work cut out replacing that kind of talent , twas ever thus , nowt changes steve .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 31-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    I'd agree with that, Animal. Clarke set up the club, but Norman made the side his own and deserves to take the credit for the promotion to Div 2. The early 80's are my golden years - McCarthy, Glavin, Banks, Aylott, Parker. What a team that was.
    There's a nice "where are they now" article here (apologies if you've all seen it).

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featu...rs-up-1980-81/

Thanks for that , great read mate .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Money played a part Steve , Aylott went to third division Millwall for more brass , nowt changes does it .

Macca gort injured and didn't walk back in to the side when he was fit and banged a transfer request in and was then sold to Man City for £200k .

Banks started to slap a bit of timber on and his form was up and down and he went to Leicester .

Big loss was when Parker got injured at Wendy and he wasn't the same player when he came back the next season .

Ian Evans too had to retire through injury and he was also a massive loss .

All seem to be over far too quickly and Norm had his work cut out replacing that kind of talent , twas ever thus , nowt changes steve .
    Totally agree mate. Cheers Animal

Good read that Goats. That early 80's team eddit all. Played lovely football. Interesting wot jobs they do nar.

I once got thanked by Clarkey for holding onto the ball to stop a quick throw in by Rochdale at Spotland when our defence were rushing back from a corner. "Well done son". Made my day despite abuse from some old blokes from Rochdale. (That phrase "abuse from old blokes at Rochdale" edda different meaning later on.)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 31-10-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast