+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: United 1 Preston 0 - report

United 1 Preston 0 - report

It was not the best of games to say the least at a drizzly Bramall Lane but the home side did enough to see of fellow Championship side Preston North End. It was a game of few chances and both keepers were largely untroubled all game but United nicked it thanks to a penalty from Billy Sharp; after the skipper had been adjudged to have been brought down by Tom Clarke. After this Simon Moore made one smart save but United di ud enough to hold on and go into Monday’s hat for the last 16 draw.

Manager Wilder as expected changed the side around but kept a core of players from the win at Norwich with Moore, Baldock, Stearman, Fleck all starting but with many of the new players cup tied and some rested it still equalled seven changes all together. Ched Evans joined James Wilson on the bench where Jamal Blackman was still missing; with Jake Eastwood as the sub keeper. Preston also made a number of changes and featured January signings Lewis Moult and Billy Bodin up top.

The game began with an early crunching tackle when Welsh saw him booked after he scythed down Duffy. United were the better side early on with Baldock influential down the right linking with Fleck and Duffy twice but the ball was cleared on both occasions.

Baldock then got in and squared across after a neat ball from Duffy inside the full back but Donaldson could not turn it goalwards and shot wide. Fisher then knocked behind under pressure but the corner came to nothing. Preston had a rare break when Johnson fed Bodin but Stearman made a great tackle. They then shot well wide from Browne. Both keepers had not had a save to make in a poor game.

Lafferty then was booked for a poor foul after Fleck’s pass had put him in trouble. Both teams struggled to penetrate and were giving it away too easily. United won two corners but these came to nothing. The game had been relatively even overall but even though Donaldson won a number of free kicks, the front two had not been much of a threat. Duffy saw a lot of the ball but for him was quite wasteful when in key areas. One attempted ball failed to put Baldock in and then another sailed behind. Soon after the half time whistle came.

The second half saw the Blades make the best move of the match when Duffy and Baldock linked again but Donaldson shot wide after Duffy’s cross. Baldock’s cross was then grabbed by Rudd as Sharp waited to pounce. he best chance of the game came when smart work down the right again saw Duffy centre but Lafferty from point blank range was denied by Rudd who flicked over. Either side of the keeper and it would have been a goal.

Lundstram was then booked for a pull back on Horgan as Preston tried to break. Evans and Basham came on for Donaldson and Henighan in an attempt to freshen things up for the home side. Hugill came on for Preston in an attempt to give the visitors more of a threat. Johnson was booked for a poor foul on Fleck and then soon after was lucky to escape a second yellow for delaying a free kick again. The same man had been spoken to at length in the first half for such an offence.

Preston had not offered anything of note second half but Johnson who had stayed on the pitch drove wide with Moore full stretch after no one closed him down in their best attempt of the game on 78 minutes. Evans was competing hard but the game continued to be stop start with a fussy referee not helping matters. It seemed sure he would have an influence on the verdict and so it proved with 10 minutes to play.

Basham played a long ball forward and SHARP managed to turn his man and got his body between the man and the ball and Clarke’s challenge was clumsy to say the least. He may have got something on the ball but also got a large chunk of the man and the referee pointed to the spot. After the protestations which featured a Preston fan coming onto the field; the United skipper put the ball on the spot and emphatically beat Rudd who went the right way but was nowhere near the ball that was despatched high to the right-hand side of the goal.

Soon after Evans also got tackled into the box but Scott waived play on. A neat move nearly saw Sharp in again as United looked to turn the screw.

After this Preston became understandably more adventurous and Moore had to come off his line to use his feet and make a clean slide tackle before soon after a ball from the left saw Hugill hit an instinctive effort towards goal but straight at Moore. Moore then also flicked away a long shot that may have been going wide as the visitors finally came to life.

The game went into four minutes of stoppage time as the scorer Sharp came off for Stevens just before a final free kick was knocked into the United box after a foul from Baldock, but the linesman flag thwarted any attempt on goal. Preston failed to really offer any significant efforts in the final few minutes and Stearman and Wright headed away long punts into the box before the final whistle came.

United – We will play better than that and probably lose. Indeed, we have this season. It was scrappy and we lacked fluidity. The passing was poor and we did not look much of a goal threat at all. Defensively we did ok against a similarly clueless attack and it became a game mired in midfield. Duffy and Fleck showed in flashes but they were both poor for them and whilst Donaldson bought a few fouls; him and Sharp did not look a threat really all game. We had a few half chances but nothing major but looked relatively untroubled the other way. It was good to see us play a few different players but we played more first teamers than I expected and the fact Duffy, Fleck, Stearman, Moore and Baldock played was somewhat of a surprise to me. This axis meant we always maybe were slight favourites when you saw the opposition line up missing maybe a few more key men. We shaded possession and had more of the ball in key areas but did not do enough when we had it and were quite wasteful. Duffy was always the main man but only occasionally did he make the right ball. I felt that Fleck and Lundstram were also sloppy. Baldock was our main threat going forward and I thought the defence were fine all game and largely untroubled till the end.

The overall fluidity of play we have had most of the season was missing and it was too slow and laborious. We gave it away too much but then they often gave it back. It was just a really scrappy game overall with little quality both ways. It looked a certain 0-0 but then the controversial penalty came and that effectively decided the game.

Great to be through and with the last 16 you hope for an exciting draw of course; home or away but now we have 3 big games with Villa and Leeds at the Lane and Wolves away. We have dropped out of the top 6 with Fulham winning today and must get some positive results from the next three. If we fail to win any of these three then we will be quite a bit off the top six. Villa on Tuesday is a big game as we need a win really to keep in touch. They have been on a great run ad we have to get back to standards of earlier in the season. We will have to be much better than today with the ball but of course we have some players coming back who were rested or could not play today.

Preston – Like with us they of course have other priorities and will probably be more concerned games the forthcoming week. They showed this by the starting eleven but they did not really offer much at all. They were as poor as us. They had made changes of course but looked as disorganised and as sloppy as us both with and without the ball. They gave it away a lot and lacked any real penetration. At the back they were largely untroubled but we did not offer much. They probably would have settled for the draw and the replay even if it was an extra game but the goal came and they had little time to react. They had their first real chances on goal with Moore saving one down low that may have gone wide anyway and then a smart save that fortunately went straight down his throat near the end. Before this they barely had a shot or attempt – of course neither did us. Like us their own fans were probably seeing a number of fringe players not showing standards of the normal first teamers.

However, I think if I was an away fan I would have expected a bit better but it was an odd one as the goal came quite late meaning they had little time to move up the field and show a more attacking approach. They have done really well this season and like us have a good young manager (unlucky to lose his job at Norwich I felt) and have a squad of young hungry players on the whole and I do like how they recruit and add to it and have done some smart business in this window. Be tough for them to get in the playoffs but the fact they are on the fringe is testament to the squad and the management team. Even if they do finish just above half way that is still an excellent season when you compare the budget and playing squad to many other clubs.

Opposition Man of the Match: Not sure anyone stood out. The defence was better than the attack like for United but then Clarke kind of undid the good work with the challenge as controversial as it may have been. Browne and Welsh were competitive but they got little from Bodin and Moult up top. I actually felt Horgan was one of main threats but he went off. Rudd made a good save to deny Lafferty but had little to do himself. Hugill came on and showed some decent link up and had a half chance but also fouled a lot.

Opposition Weak link: Whilst no one stood out; no one was particularly awful. They were just all very average. I felt the young lad Early struggled a bit with Baldock’s galloping runs and often needed help that was not forthcoming. I have always like the lad Johnson and felt we had a chance to sign him a while ago before he went to Preston but he was poor today and lucky to stay on.

Moore 7.5/10 – Did really well today although did not have that much to do. First half barely had a touch but then after we scored he made a good punch to clear; tipped one wide (may have been going wide but he was not to know), slide tackled well as he rightly came out and then saved one straight at him. None were amazing pieces of keeping but all were solid and important. His kicking was a bit mixed today and often just punted it to no one.

Baldock 8/10 – Thought he was easily our man of the match. Got up and down the flank, showed great fitness and some tremendous athleticism. He put in 3 or 4 decent balls and was always an outlet. He never stopped and was either going inside or outside to prove that threat. Showed good footwork and drove at defenders. Was very good all game.

Lafferty 6.5/10 – Mixed really. He was ok defensively really and I cannot recall too many big errors but he was never really threatened. However, going forward he was a bit sloppy and I felt under hit passes or crosses and did not do enough when in their half. Did have a decent chance when he got in the box that was well saved. He may have think he should have scored.

Henighan 6/10 – He did ok with a few tackles and blocks but also got beat comprehensively for speed down the channel and others had to bail him out. A few times he played it simply and kept it fine but then others he just blasted it out. A big unit who puts himself about. Technically he looked a bit off what is required for our system and especially at Championship level and not sure he has the pace to be able to cover situations. Surprised he played him as he now cannot go out on loan (played for two clubs this season).

Stearman 7.5/10 – Like the last 4 or 5 games; thought he was our best centre back again. Made several good interceptions and read the game well. He headed it away, played it out when he could and was very sound in all aspects of his game. He is quicker and more mobile than you think. He twice got Wright and Henighan out of trouble after they got beat or lost it. He is played really well at the moment.

Wright 6.5/10 – Many been calling him to play and he got a start. He did ok and did the typical covering and interceptions and was solid enough overall. A few times he looked a bit rusty and I felt he nearly got caught out once or twice. Steady-ish but when they turned it round the back I felt him and Henighan looked a bit susceptible. We ended up quite deep at the end. At the moment Stearman and O’Connell have been playing well and Basham also has played ok at the back so you do not see any changes in this area.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Surprised he played today as felt he would be rested with big games coming up. Not his best game. He showed a few flashes of his skill and running with the ball but he also was a bit sloppy at times too. Felt he was guilty as with others of taking too long to move it on. He got caught with a bad tackle and lucky to evade injury. He at least evaded a booking which would have got him a 2-game ban.

Lundstram 6/10 -Thought it was another very average performance from him today. He should be looking to dictate games like that and get on the ball and pass or drive forward but too often he lost it or was ponderous in moving it on. He played one great reverse ball early on but then straight after gave it away three times in succession. The number of times he had his hand up to signal his error I lost count. He played a few decent balls second half but he is wildly inconsistent both in games and in a series of games. He is very easy to read what he is and lacks mobility to get back – shown on the booking when instead of running back just pulled his man back.

Duffy 6.5/10 – As ever looked our main attacking threat and did play 2 or 3 great balls (one for Donaldson shot wide and then one for Lafferty that the keeper saved) but he also overplayed or misplaced 6 or 7 other balls when well placed. Still for all this he continued to get on it and showed some lovely jinks and skill to keep the ball and allow others time and space. I love watching him play even when it does not always come off. Great to see him get a new contract.

Donaldson 6.5/10 – He won three or four free kicks first half and held it up ok but he did not really have any chances and him and Sharp were too far apart. He fell over too much for me and was looking for fouls that were not always there. Still shows he is quicker than you think over a few yards even at this advancing years. He had a few half chances but both went well wide. He was probably slightly the better of the two forward when he went off but maybe Wilder had one eye on Tuesday night although you would expect Wilson and Clarke to start again.

Sharp 6/10 –I have to say I thought he did little of note all game and his mark may be lower if not for the goal. First half I barely even noticed him other than a few times he got outmuscled / shoved off the ball. He looked well off the pace. Second half he tried to get more involved but again not much came off. Evans came on but he still did not influence things. Still as with always the case with Sharp you know he can do very little and then he can score the winner. So, it proved as he found a yard to turn Clarke and induce a challenge and then coolly converted the penalty.

Subs:

Evans – Came on and put himself about but it was such a poor game it was hard for him. He did not see much of the ball to his feet and it was more him chasing and harrying. Nearly won a penalty after we had scored one. Needs more minutes and game time but hoping he will be sharper than he was to start the season.

Basham – Did his usual Bash job. Came on defended well, won loose balls and tried to get forward but looked a bit clueless when he got in to advanced positions. He did put the ball forward for the penalty award.

Stevens – Brought on right at the end as we tried to just get over the line.
    Manager: Wilder 7/10 – Changed a few players round, brought a few in and we got a win. The performance was not that great but then the opponents were no better and it was just about avoiding any serious injuries and winning and we did that. Henighan got his bow and Evans came back also.

Officials – Graham Scott. Thought he was really poor throughout. The classic ‘look at me, I’m the ref’ performance. He stopped the game constantly to talk to players without booking them and kept slowing things down and had no idea on the advantage rule. He stopped the game 3 times first half to talk to their men for 30 seconds a piece which slowed everything down but did not book them. Just acknowledge the offence and get the game going? He talked to Johnson 3 times about this and then booked him and then let him stand on the ball again. He should have walked really but the ref bottled it.

As for the penalty I am not sure and felt it was soft but having watched back can see why it was given. I thought he got enough on the ball but you can argue it was a tackle from behind and he got a lot of the man. If it had been given against us; I would have been angry I think but then you dive through and these days they seem to be given even if you get the ball. Bit daft from the defender really.

Scott was miles away from the play as was the doddering old linesman on the South Stand side who simply could not keep up with play all game. I felt the bookings he all got right for cynical or poor fouls (two for either side) and the Welsh one was close to a red. I think if that had been a bit later on he may have sent him off but was so early.

Sadly, his overall performance was poor. He wanted to be the star of the show and not for the right reasons. The foul at the end where Baldock got manhandled first and he gave a free kick to them summed him up. It is never a good game when both sets of fans and players are wondering what the ref is going to give next and he seems to be having more of an influence on the game than any of the players.

Crowd – Surprised there were nearly 16,000 inside the Lane but that was also helped by 2,500 from Preston who filled the lower tier and had a few hundred in the upper tier. They were noisy early on but then the game was that poor that they quietened down. United fans were split around 3 sides with only the South Stand being more than half full. It was a bit flat as to be expected but they roused themselves for the final period to help us through to the next round.

Crap game.
    No outstanding performance.
    Shaded it.
    The End.

(Sometimes less is more). LOL.

nailed on to draw pigs in 5th round

Cannot believe the time wasting tactics employed by Preston,in a cup tie,why?

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Cannot believe the time wasting tactics employed by Preston,in a cup tie,why?
    The single aspect of the modern game I hate the most, but then they did a nice line on fouling our players (Donaldson esp.) while the ball was in the air and the ref just didn't spot it, or wouldn't blow for it. Niggly team.

Only good thing was a first Lane goal of 2018.

We seem to be in a rough patch at the minute.

UTCB