+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aapo Halme signs

Aapo Halme signs

21-year-old defender arrives from Leeds United on a permanent contract.

We are delighted to announce that Aapo Halme has joined Barnsley Football Club from Leeds United for an undisclosed fee on a three-year contract, with a further year option in favour of the club.

After representing his native Finland throughout international age-groups between U16s and U21, Aapo caught the attention of fellow Sky Bet Championship rivals Leeds United.

At Elland Road during the 2018/19 promotion challenging campaign, the towering 6ft 5’ central defender made four appearances, in which Leeds won all four matches whilst keeping three clean sheets in the process under Marcelo Bielsa’s tutelage.

Halme becomes the Reds’ seventh summer signing as we edge ever closer to beginning the pre-season friendly schedule.

Upon joining the club, Aapo spoke with iFollow Barnsley, saying: “I think this is the style of football that I like to play, I’ve played my whole career like this, so I’m really looking forward to it. I’m really pleased. When I first heard I was really excited and I want to help the club to reach their goals, improve as a player and get used to first team football. I want to get some games under my belt and help the team as much as possible.”

Co-Chairman Paul Conway commented on the club’s seventh summer signing and another young exciting player joining the club.

He said: “I am really pleased that we have been able to add Aapo to the squad. He has showed great promise at the high level of the Championship at a young age, bringing key knowledge of the league to the squad after challenging for promotion last season. This is a core element of our overall strategy, again signing excellent young talent. We are all excited to see Aapo ‎at Oakwell this season, where he can continue to perform at a high level.”

Welcome to the club. Good signing. I'm happy with the activity so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cavare, Pinillos and Thiam be sold if they don't sign new deals.

However, I'm confident they will be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Welcome to the club. Good signing. I'm happy with the activity so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cavare, Pinillos and Thiam be sold if they don't sign new deals.

However, I'm confident they will be replaced.
    Of course they'll be replaced. It's who with that is the question

Cavare already has a years extension, so will that mean he is here for a year, or a year in which we have him, and then a year left to sell him? (Not being funny, just unsure)..

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post

He said: “I am really pleased that we have been able to add Aapo to the squad. He has showed great promise at the high level of the Championship at a young age, bringing key knowledge of the league to the squad after challenging for promotion last season. This is a core element of our overall strategy, again signing excellent young talent. We are all excited to see Aapo ‎at Oakwell this season, where he can continue to perform at a high level.”
    "bringing key knowledge" He's only laiked four games, one an FA Cup tie. Credit fans wi a bit a sense Hoss.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    "bringing key knowledge" He's only laiked four games, one an FA Cup tie. Credit fans wi a bit a sense Hoss.
    It's 4 championship games mooar than other signings ev ed SB

Ajax wanted Halme so they could add him to their development squads the summer he signed for Leeds from Helsinki. Hoffenheim, Bayer Leverkusen and Sassuolo also wanted him allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Ajax wanted Halme so they could add him to their development squads the summer he signed for Leeds from Helsinki. Hoffenheim, Bayer Leverkusen and Sassuolo also wanted him allegedly
    Sounds like a bit of a coup then for BFC

Sarnds like Paul Digby when he worra young 'un.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Sarnds like Paul Digby when he worra young 'un.
    I remember Gryff Jones our wonder striker in the reserves that we signed from the Liverpool academy. Never had a kick in our first team despite scoring for fun in the reserves.

Jordan Clark was another world beater as is Berkovitz. We never see their potential because there's too much money in the game.