+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People moaning about childcare.

People moaning about childcare.

Loads of them bleating on today on the news about the cost and the lack of childcare available.

Simple……don’t f u c k I n g have kids you can’t afford or can’t manage yourself.

Although it was tough financially when our kids were young my wife stayed at home at looked after all of them from even when they were aged zero, 3 1/2 and 7 and for the whole of their childhood.

I was only a rep at the time, I wasn’t well paid either.

My wife did work, she did catering at antique fayres on Sundays from very early morning until late afternoon and I looked after the kids.

She also took in typing and would often work from 8.00pm in an evening until as late as 3.00am in a morning.

Todays t e e n s to 40’s want everything doing for them, government is to blame if they can’t have what they want when they want it.

The lack of self responsibility is truly amazing these days.

Totally agree. You have to limit the number of children you have to what you can afford. Far too many today just think that the state should pick up the tab, no matter how many children you have. It would be good idea to limit child benefit to two children and no more. If you want more then you pay for it, as long as you can afford it that is.

Agree on the child benefit point, but disagree on paying so much for childcare, if more couples were childless there would be population decline and less money in the pot to pay state pensions etc.

Typically one parent or the other will work part-time, reducing income, paying out exorbitant amounts for childcare, further reducing income - for a good number of years. I don't think that's entitled at all - I believe in France it's funded by the State?

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Agree on the child benefit point, but disagree on paying so much for childcare, if more couples were childless there would be population decline and less money in the pot to pay state pensions etc.

Typically one parent or the other will work part-time, reducing income, paying out exorbitant amounts for childcare, further reducing income - for a good number of years. I don't think that's entitled at all - I believe in France it's funded by the State?

Childcare is expensive and why wouldn’t it be as the overheads due to safe guarding are huge. My view would always be what’s the point of having children if you don’t want to look after them. Same having a dog - you can’t go to work and leave a dog all day at home as that’s cruel and why have it in the first place.

Surely the state pension should be means tested now like the NHS? How can a lottery winner or a rich footballer or a wealthy person be allowed the state pension and free NHS treatment? Soon both benefits will go anyway or you will be almost dead before your allowed to retire.

Tax the super rich companies more like Amazon and make them provide nursery vouchers and private healthcare - they make enough. On-line companies should pay more tax than the high street anyway as prime high street premises come at a premium. A s hitty Amazon logistics centre in the middle of no-where in comparison costs peanuts and such costs are constantly off set against profits. Therefore tax should apply to a companies assets ie fulfilment centres etc.

No wonder so many are on benefits though as honestly don’t blame them when the minimum wage is pathetic! Where’s the incentive?

Poor narrative of "don't have them if you can't afford them" and a really bizarre viewpoint.

Households used to survive on one income so it was possible for all classes to have a couple of kids, now it's two for most households and childcare costs the price of a mortgage. Older generations had their own battles but a lot didn't have to fund childcare and could live off one modest income.

It's beginning to become that the poor can't have kids. What kind of society would that be...?

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Poor narrative of "don't have them if you can't afford them" and a really bizarre viewpoint.

Households used to survive on one income so it was possible for all classes to have a couple of kids, now it's two for most households and childcare costs the price of a mortgage. Older generations had their own battles but a lot didn't have to fund childcare and could live off one modest income.

It's beginning to become that the poor can't have kids. What kind of society would that be...?

Agree with that Matt. The older generation always saying they had it tough but the young folk in my eyes have it tougher! As you say two people in most cases have to work and not easy for young ones to get on the housing ladder. Disgusting how some had their state pension earlier and now others have to wait an extra 3/4 years! That’s not exactly fair!

It’s the older generation too who usually are the most racist and unaccepting of how times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post

There’s nothing “bizarre” about it at all.

The 40 odds and under seem to think that us in our late 50’s and early 60’s lived in a time of milk and f e c k I n honey.

My wife gave up a very good job in the Civil Service to look after our three kids, this was the very late 80’s through to around 2008 so we’re not talking the 1950’s FFS, we’re talking modern day.

We made the decision to accept being cash poor but child nourishment rich.

If people want child care they should expect to pay a decent rate for it and if it wipes out a lot of their wage earned then so what, if they want to ensure protecting their career by continuing to work then that’s their choice.

Too many happy to pass their kids to staff earning p I s s poor wages whilst they continue their career on a more acceptable wage.

Christ, we were p I s s poor when we got married in 88, I used to go two or three years without buying any new clothes for myself, we just didn’t have spare cash.

In these “halcyon days” of milk and honey back in the late 80’s and early 90’s this poor b a s t a r d ( and many others! ) we’re paying mortgage interest rates of 15% to 19% as well, not the 1% to 2% people have been paying for the past decade or more until recently…….and we made it work.

I don’t understand the mentality of bringing kids into the world and then both parents doing full time jobs and handing them off!

But that's my point Mick, your family were able to make ends meet with one modest earner, which isn't possible today. Your mortgage might have been at 15% but the house price to income rate was miles lower in the 80s. Imagine 15% interest rates on a £200k house today! The price to income rate is also driving away young house owners and people are having to have kids later to live a decent lifestyle.

It's well known that one of societies biggest problems is low population growth because of how expensive having children is. There will be no one to fund that ageing population and state pension at this rate. There's a very strong case for further subsidies on childcare as it can give the economy a good kick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Loads of them bleating on today on the news about the cost and the lack of childcare available.

Simple……don’t f u c k I n g have kids you can’t afford or can’t manage yourself.

Although it was tough financially when our kids were young my wife stayed at home at looked after all of them from even when they were aged zero, 3 1/2 and 7 and for the whole of their childhood.

I was only a rep at the time, I wasn’t well paid either.

My wife did work, she did catering at antique fayres on Sundays from very early morning until late afternoon and I looked after the kids.

She also took in typing and would often work from 8.00pm in an evening until as late as 3.00am in a morning.

Todays t e e n s to 40’s want everything doing for them, government is to blame if they can’t have what they want when they want it.

The lack of self responsibility is truly amazing these days.
    Its so ironic the elder generation bleating on about the younger.

Anyone 60+ who voted Tory and especially Brexit should really be apologising to the under 40's right now.

Rather than criticising their lack of self responsibility. A bit of self awareness wouldn't go amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Its so ironic the elder generation bleating on about the younger.

Anyone 60+ who voted Tory and especially Brexit should really be apologising to the under 40's right now.

Rather than criticising their lack of self responsibility. A bit of self awareness wouldn't go amiss.
    I’ll maybe apologise for that when you apologise for being such an arrogant and obnoxious c o c k for the way you spoke to Soulman on here a week or two ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)