+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Modern Stadiums

O/T:- Modern Stadiums

So. After doing Wembley with Notts for the PO finals…
    Last night went to London Stadium to watch the Weeknd.
    West Ham have a good deal there. I know for football, the complaints are the seats aren’t right next to the grass, but what a great place.
    Lovely views from anywhere. We had padded seats. (Adam Knight name card on the seat flip so all season ticket holders have them labelled.) Concourses are well organised.
    Wi-Fi working for everyone (80000) people there last night.

Not as well organised with the “bridge” system for getting out as they control flow by letting one exit bridge empty out and then the next onto the streets. Quite comical that with all the high tech stuff at the stadium…they had a few blokes with green go and red stop signs.

Not sure I’d want the messing around if we ever hit 80k every fortnight though!

Overall, great stadium though and even better show.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-07-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

Yeah it's a lovely stadium that we all paid for and still are paying for!!

The Government used £486m to build the stadium and spent the majority of an additional £274m to convert if after the Games. West Ham paid £15m of that, while Newham Council contributed £40m. Yet on top of that £760m, E20 Stadium have made consistent losses since West Ham moved in, of between £19.6m and £29.1m per year.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    West Ham have a good deal there. I know for football, the complaints are the seats aren’t right next to the grass, but what a great place.
    Lovely views from anywhere. We had padded seats. (Adam Knight name card on the seat flip so all season ticket holders have them labelled.) Concourses are well organised.

Not as well organised with the “bridge” system for getting out as they control flow by letting one exit bridge empty out and then the next onto the streets. Quite comical that with all the high tech stuff at the stadium…they had a few blokes with green go and red stop signs.

I went to the Emirates Stadium to see the Arctic Monkeys last month - another impressive modern ground, although lacks the charm of the old Highbury. Spurs’ ground is different gravy, apparently, so hopefully we’ll draw them in one of the cup competitions soon and see for ourselves (we do seem to have drawn them more than any other top side since the 80s).

And just to think Mr Pavis managed to build the new 'Meadow Lane' for £8 million.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post

I was lucky enough to see FC Porto play Vitoria at the *checks wikipedia, then cuts and pastes*... Estádio do Dragão while on holiday sometime before the pandemic. The stadium was built for Euro 2004... in my head, that makes it a new stadium, but it's probably not. It's a fantastic ground... we got there much closer to kick off than I'd like, but no problem, no queues, clear signs, super friendly stewards, ticket scanning that worked really easily. Lovely wide concourses, comfortable seats, wider aisles and rows than I'm used to... all with no loss of atmosphere. What was really striking was how quick it was to get away afterwards... those huge concourses and super-efficient light railway, with train after train queued up ready.

Fantastic experience, though the game was a little spoilt by a harsh very early red card for the visitors. Disappointed not to have been able to see Boavista too (less fashionable, play in black and white etc), but that's the way the fixtures fell. And TBF two matches might have been pushing my luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Newish Pie View Post
    I was lucky enough to see FC Porto play Vitoria at the *checks wikipedia, then cuts and pastes*... Estádio do Dragão while on holiday sometime before the pandemic. The stadium was built for Euro 2004... in my head, that makes it a new stadium, but it's probably not. It's a fantastic ground... we got there much closer to kick off than I'd like, but no problem, no queues, clear signs, super friendly stewards, ticket scanning that worked really easily. Lovely wide concourses, comfortable seats, wider aisles and rows than I'm used to... all with no loss of atmosphere. What was really striking was how quick it was to get away afterwards... those huge concourses and super-efficient light railway, with train after train queued up ready.

Fantastic experience, though the game was a little spoilt by a harsh very early red card for the visitors. Disappointed not to have been able to see Boavista too (less fashionable, play in black and white etc), but that's the way the fixtures fell. And TBF two matches might have been pushing my luck...
    Sounds cracking. As I say, the only thing that let the London Stadium down for me was the people flow at the end. Obviously a massive issue for them with everyone walking towards Stratford underground. Took a good hour if not more to do a ten minute journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    And just to think Mr Pavis managed to build the new 'Meadow Lane' for £8 million.
    Three sides of it in one go, in 12 weeks from memory.