+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selection dilemmas for Saturday

Selection dilemmas for Saturday

Defeats usually make team selection more interesting. Maybe these are the main dilemmas LW is grappling with for Saturday...
    Who would you go for?

Stone or Slocombe? As annoyed as I was to see Stone dive head first at the ball outside the area and get sent off, it's Stone 1 Slocombe 6 as far as goals conceded is concerned. I'd probably like to see Stone atone...

Brindley or Tipton? Baj and Baldo out? Then RCB is down to those two. Really difficult. Is Tipton ready for a must-win home debut in front of 10,000 +? Maybe LW should give RB his last chance (for a while) to show that he's still got it.

Inside-left partner for Didzy? JOB's probably done enough this week. Crowley? Jones? I'd like to see Austin start. He's proven as an assist man for Maca and maybe 1 goal is all it'll take for the win.

Might be wrong, but I think the rest is predictable, including the league return of Chicks at LWB.

Slocombe
    TAR Tipton, Cameron Chicksen.
    Bostock.
    Nemane Palmer Randall ( if fit ) Jones of not.
    McGoldrick
    Langstaff

Not sure a back four suits us but we've got to tighten up even if it means a 0-0. Slocombe did nothing wrong on Tuesday so I'd keep him in.
    I'd pick Randall because he's proven at L2 and is tall and I think we need all the physical muscle we can muster at the moment.
    Having said all that you could argue for Stone, Jones, Crowley, Rawlinson, Austin and Scott all playing as no-one apart from Chicksen, Palmer, McGoldrick and Langstaff have genuinely deserved to keep their places really.
    Looks a tough fixture, Grimsby always come and make it a hard game.

I think we need to stick with the 3-5-2 that brought us success last year but seriously up the intensity. I’d go for:

Slocombe
    Tipton, Cameron, Chicksen
    Nemane, Crowley, Palmer, Bostock, Jones
    McGoldrick, Langstaff

Not very confident with the back three, but there aren’t that many other options (Rawlinson - maybe, Brindley - not on present form) and we’re only going to find out if Tipton can handle L2 by giving him game time.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think we need to stick with the 3-5-2 that brought us success last year but seriously up the intensity. I’d go for:

Slocombe
    Tipton, Cameron, Chicksen
    Nemane, Crowley, Palmer, Bostock, Jones
    McGoldrick, Langstaff

Not very confident with the back three, but there aren’t that many other options (Rawlinson - maybe, Brindley - not on present form) and we’re only going to find out if Tipton can handle L2 by giving him game time.
    Prefer Scott to McGoldrick to press their defence with Macca.

I think we might need McGoldrick’s ability to create something out of nothing. The lack of quality at the back is the biggest concern, though.

I remember some footy journalist tweeting a few months ago that we (and Wrexham) had been eyeing some overseas signings - I wonder what happened there.

It's interesting that a couple have put Cameron in the centre.
    It's not his best position, but the extra responsibility might get him going... and wide in the 3 exposes you to a lot.
    I can't see it happening though

Jones being given another go at wing-back? I struggle to see that as well. His was the performance last Saturday that screamed get me out of here.

Surely Tipton must be given a start - or what's the point in having him here?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Surely Tipton must be given a start - or what's the point in having him here?
    Agreed. Give the lad a game.

……………………Slocombe

TAR………..Tipton………….Bostock (C)……Chicks

……………………..Palmer

………….Jones…….Didzy………JOB

………………Macca………Scott

Time to make some players pay for their poor performances/efforts by dropping them. Nothing nasty, just business. Jones is never a L2 wing back, never has been and it’s unfair to expect that from him. His best play has come from inside/wide right…..always has been!

Have to give Macca some support up top, let’s see what him and Scott can do together. JOB has been our best player, thus he keeps his place. Chicks back where he belongs. Bostock can play, has vision, intelligence and stature to play CB…can’t be worse than what we’ve seen already.

Oh, and if we’re not going to press the ball, let’s quit with the high line!
    Last edited by TSANHO; 11-08-2023 at 09:17 AM.

I suspect there won't be many changes from Sutton or Lincoln (it will be one or the other). Depending which way LW goes, I think it will be Tipton for Baldwin then the same team as for Sutton / Lincoln.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast