+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Viktor Johansson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Viktor Johansson

Is he our greatest ever goalkeeper?

Mike Pollitt
    Andy Warrington
    Matt Clarke
    Kelham O Hanlan
    Billy Mercer.

Are the best RUFC keepers in my time with honourable mentions to Steve Cherry and Adam Collin.

I fear this could be the Viking’s last season with us and hopefully we get £5 million for him.

Best ever? I am starting to think so. Some of those saves yesterday were outstanding.

In true Ronnie style “yeck I thin sooh”…..in my era too and I think the gulf between them is getting bigger by the game..maybe some older posters will mention some older ones…and I am almost sure gru won’t agree on not commanding his area enough yadda yadda..!.

I will add to the honourable mentions with Nicky law..!!!..

My fear with Big V is that he’s got a relegation clause in his contract that allows him to leave
    In the unlikely event that we do go down his contract allows him to go for a paltry £2/3m

Alan Hill and Ray Mountford were pretty damn good too.
    Mountford was one of the best I've seen in one on one situations and he usually came out on top.
    I don't really like this modern obsession with picking the "Greatest of All Time" because circumstances change so much in different eras.
    We have been very lucky to have some excellent goalkeepers throughout our history and we've certainly got a very special one now.

Mellow, for agility, shop stopping, worldie saves, and I've followed the Millers for over 56 years, Viktor for me is at the top of the pile.

Yes, I note 'circumstances change so much in different eras' but, even giving thought to past keepers, I never seen one as so athletic despite his size, as Viktor is. An amazing keeper that surely MUST demand a club breaking record fee should he be sold.

Im sure CT will be upset if Roy Ironside doesn't get a mention!! I personally remember Rod Jones being a very good keeper. Sold on to Burnley.

Roy Tunks and Seamus McDonagh (spl?) are up there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Mellow, for agility, shop stopping, worldie saves, and I've followed the Millers for over 56 years, Viktor for me is at the top of the pile.

Yes, I note 'circumstances change so much in different eras' but, even giving thought to past keepers, I never seen one as so athletic despite his size, as Viktor is. An amazing keeper that surely MUST demand a club breaking record fee should he be sold.
    I think, in a way, you make my point about different eras there Brin.
    Viktor is all the things you describe but training methods, diet, medical facilities, pitch surfaces and even the weight of the ball are light years ahead of where they were in decades past.
    As an aside, when people bang on about Messi and Ronaldo being the greatest of all time I wonder how the likes of George Best and Jimmy Greaves would have fared with all the advantages of the modern era? Pretty much unplayable probably.

If anyone connected to Southampton FC are reading this thread that was a once a season performance from our keeper.
    He certainly doesn’t play like that every week so it was bad luck to you guys you got him on a good day

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    If anyone connected to Southampton FC are reading this thread that was a once a season performance from our keeper.
    He certainly doesn’t play like that every week so it was bad luck to you guys you got him on a good day
    😀

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast