+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott MOTD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boycott MOTD

Nuff Said.

Gary has my support.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Nuff Said.

Gary has my support.
    ...and mine. People can choose to agree with him or otherwise, but his opinion wasn’t offensive and I can’t understand why he is being made to step down.

Wright and Shearer have told the BBC they won't be on this weekend, good on ya.

Wright and Shearer have told the BBC they won't be on this weekend, good on ya.

It's a pity Ian Wright didn't show solidarity with the sacking of Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier, etc. According to MLT, Sky said they were 'too old'. Naturally the colour of their skin didn't come into it. No one takes the knee for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    It's a pity Ian Wright didn't show solidarity with the sacking of Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier, etc. According to MLT, Sky said they were 'too old'. Naturally the colour of their skin didn't come into it. No one takes the knee for them.
    Maybe, the circumstances are a bit different though, broadcasters freshen up their line ups all the time, i think the uproar on this was caused because the likes of Alex Scott and Micah Richards came in and people saw it as an action to help them meet their diversity quota.

Personally i would rather listen to both scott and richards over thomson and le tissier but thats just my personal view. I like Lineker on MOTD, i have never been keen on Wright or Shearer, i find them both a bit boring.

I dont suppose le tissiers views helped him either though.

I guess in Linekers case where is the consistency? Make him step down because of an anti government tweet, yet they turn a blind eye to Alan Sugars continuous posting of political views over the years, whats the difference? Nothing to do with the fact that those in power at the BBC probably endorse Sugars views but dont endorse Linekers, surely not?

I guess in Linekers case where is the consistency? Make him step down because of an anti government tweet, yet they turn a blind eye to Alan Sugars continuous posting of political views over the years, whats the difference? Nothing to do with the fact that those in power at the BBC probably endorse Sugars views but dont endorse Linekers, surely not?
    There’s a difference in that GL is part of News and Current Affairs which I understand has different rules to pre-recorded game show stuff which AS hosts. Just my understanding

Interesting looking on social media, the fb groups that I troll are overwhelmingly anti-Lineker and by the nature of them being football forums they don't have an inbuilt political bias. Quite a few (including one I moderate although I didn't do it) have now suspended discussion on the subject to align with their 'no politics' forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    There’s a difference in that GL is part of News and Current Affairs which I understand has different rules to pre-recorded game show stuff which AS hosts. Just my understanding
    Im sure thats the angle they will argue, my guess is had sugar published a picture of bojo next to hitler the outcome might have been different.

Of course ITV are a different broadcaster and not funded by the public purse so it is obviously different but what Gary Neville did using the football coverage itself as a platform to have a political rant was worse than what lineker did.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    But they were spouting far right conspiracy theories! Le Tissier in particular has gone completely bonkers. There is a big difference between saying stuff that is misleading, false and dangerous and giving an honest opinion.

Like everyone in this country, he has the right to an opinion.
    His conflict comes from his affiliation with the BBC.
    The BBC is supposed to be impartial funded by a tax. His comments (not for the first time cause offence)
    Now considering - Morgan/Rowling/Cleese/ Clarkson got canceleld by their comments, what makes Lineker bulletproof?

They are left with-
    1.sack him, he's free to post what he likes on social media
    2. Scrap the license and make it a free speech platform
    3. he stays and keeps his opinions to himself whilst employed by the BBC

Had he worked for the Police/NHS/Prison service/ Fire brigade/Armed forces and many others, he'd have been sacked on the spot.

He hasn;t been sacked yet, he's being sat down and has to decide with his options on the table.

NB- Shearer and Wright are leaving themselves wide open for dismissal by refusing to work.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)