+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing Budget Used For Ilson' Purchase???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Playing Budget Used For Ilson' Purchase???

No 'WOW' factor signings. The Noble deal cash not spent. These are points raised on other posts. I'm still at a loss as to Hardy's motivation in buying Ilkeston Town FC. Is it just another ego trip? Look at me, I own 2 football clubs!

The ground belongs to Erewash Borough Council and the club have no obvious saleable assets, so what's in it for Hardy and more importantly what did he pay to acquire it? Trew allegedly acquired Notts for a quid, so IMO Hardy can't have paid a deal for a bankrupt, small time non-league club.

I guess he's got a possible training ground on the cheap and we could send out a lot of our kids and newly purchased squad fillers to play at Ilson' . For me, i'd rather he'd concentrated on Notts and spent the available cash on some better quality signings.

I think looking at what's been spent on Notts new signings I think he's content with us spending more time in league two.
    Money spent tiling the tunnel, upgrading the changing rooms, 100k on the pitch, and a new indoor five a side pitch but a minimal amount on the playing staff !

Good point.

I think for all of Hardy and Nolan's enthusiasm, they are both inexperienced in the transfer market and have clearly failed with two of their first choice targets: Liam Noble and Andy Cook.

The Ilson' acquisition and the setting up of another women's team worry me because we don't have a lot of dosh and it needs IMO to be spent on the bread and butter of the football club i.e NCFC's first team squad

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Good point.

I think for all of Hardy and Nolan's enthusiasm, they are both inexperienced in the transfer market and have clearly failed with two of their first choice targets: Liam Noble and Andy Cook.

The Ilson' acquisition and the setting up of another women's team worry me because we don't have a lot of dosh and it needs IMO to be spent on the bread and butter of the football club i.e NCFC's first team squad
    I (and you) have no idea of how much AH has or is able to raise. However Ilkeston was the team he supported as a youngster, see http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...nd-says-249222

He clearly sees himself as some champion of grass-roots level football and runs/supports junior football (Lowdham Colts?) as well as encouraging women's football.

I seem to recall that a figure of £15k was mentioned for Ilkeston but maybe that was just debts, though he may have had to clear some of them.

They'll learn that there isn't a queue to come here - it's not like interviewing staff for a business. Clearly re-signing Shola was a powerful statement and maybe they thought others would follow especially given the playing success in the second half of the season.

I'm more disappointed with the continual spin being put on the club, and perhaps the latest spate of signings, rather than what actually has happened.

If he had simply stuck (and he or KN did say it once) to sensible consolidation and see where they were at by Christmas I'd be less critical. But now, having given up quality for quantity we also have the Class of 2018. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I (and you) have no idea of how much AH has or is able to raise. However Ilkeston was the team he supported as a youngster, see http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...nd-says-249222

He clearly sees himself as some champion of grass-roots level football and runs/supports junior football (Lowdham Colts?) as well as encouraging women's football.

I seem to recall that a figure of £15k was mentioned for Ilkeston but maybe that was just debts, though he may have had to clear some of them.

They'll learn that there isn't a queue to come here - it's not like interviewing staff for a business. Clearly re-signing Shola was a powerful statement and maybe they thought others would follow especially given the playing success in the second half of the season.

I'm more disappointed with the continual spin being put on the club, and perhaps the latest spate of signings, rather than what actually has happened.

If he had simply stuck (and he or KN did say it once) to sensible consolidation and see where they were at by Christmas I'd be less critical. But now, having given up quality for quantity we also have the Class of 2018. Wow.
    No, Al supported Eastwood, sorry Aystewood.

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    No 'WOW' factor signings. The Noble deal cash not spent. These are points raised on other posts. I'm still at a loss as to Hardy's motivation in buying Ilkeston Town FC. Is it just another ego trip? Look at me, I own 2 football clubs!

The ground belongs to Erewash Borough Council and the club have no obvious saleable assets, so what's in it for Hardy and more importantly what did he pay to acquire it? Trew allegedly acquired Notts for a quid, so IMO Hardy can't have paid a deal for a bankrupt, small time non-league club.

I guess he's got a possible training ground on the cheap and we could send out a lot of our kids and newly purchased squad fillers to play at Ilson' . For me, i'd rather he'd concentrated on Notts and spent the available cash on some better quality signings.
    Al said "A six figure sum" on his Radio Derby interview. Meh.............

1 min 17 secs in.............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05969b6

If we end up owning a training ground with a youth / feeder set up for a six figure sum, as long as the asset is owned by the club I would say it's a good long term investment.
    I understand we don't own the land , but even so Ilkestons set up isn't bad and I believe they have a big field across the road from the ground as well which used to be used by Ilkeston junior teams.
    We've been nomads for years and years and a proper training ground has to be a good thing.
    Agree that the close season recruitment looks ropey but it has for every year bar Munto and Martin Allen's only pre season for at least a decade.

Having said that , when we leased Arnold's ground giving us a pretty decent set up we promptly got relegated.

Think the Spin Dr will sell Notts on,taken on more than he can chew &, concentrate on Ilson,where his "grass roots" philosophy may work.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    If we end up owning a training ground with a youth / feeder set up for a six figure sum, as long as the asset is owned by the club I would say it's a good long term investment.
    I understand we don't own the land , but even so Ilkestons set up isn't bad and I believe they have a big field across the road from the ground as well which used to be used by Ilkeston junior teams.
    We've been nomads for years and years and a proper training ground has to be a good thing.
    Yes, I think this is the most likely explanation. It had better be, otherwise it would make no sense at all. I know Alan Hardy undoubtedly does like his share of the limelight, but I don't think this would just be an ego trip with the Noble money. Probably a combination of showing commitment to grass roots football while also acquiring a useful asset for Notts at the same time, at relatively decent value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast