+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The other (slightly tubbier) Hemmings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The other (slightly tubbier) Hemmings

I've got a recollection from around 89/90 of having just moved house and my Dad listening to cricket on the radio in our very bare new kitchen. I think Eddie Hemmings was batting, and that he scored a 4 (?) which won the match. My Dad was so chuffed I remember him dancing round the kitchen. Can anyone enlighten me as to what match it might have been? Cheers.

1989 I think. Eddie hit the last ball for 4 against Es*** winning Notts the game in a one day cup final.

ps. Might have been the Benson & Hedges cup but can't remember to he honest.
    Last edited by navypie; 02-06-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    1989 I think. Eddie hit the last ball for 4 against Es*** winning Notts the game in a one day cup final.

ps. Might have been the Benson & Hedges cup but can't remember to he honest.
    I remember the Nat West Trophy final that we won against Northants. I was there on the original day but it was weather affected and was finished on the Monday I think, are you sure it wasn't that game?

I was at the final the year before as well I think when we lost to Es***

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I remember the Nat West Trophy final that we won against Northants. I was there on the original day but it was weather affected and was finished on the Monday I think, are you sure it wasn't that game?
    Now I'm confused. You could be right, I also have vague memories of that game. It looked we didn't have much chance when play was halted, but we won it at the death. I'm pretty sure that Richie Benaud's commentary said "He's got it away", and then it was a heart stopping moment to see whether the fielder reached the ball before it hit the boundary rope. I also seem to remember the great Sir Richard Hadlee playing a crucial role with the bat rather than ball on the second day, I would love confirmation if anyone can dig it out.

That would have been the Benson and hedges cup final around 1989-90 time Notts needed four runs off the last ball and Eddie hit it for four brilliant end for Notts anyway.

Back in the days th final was on bbc or channel 4.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    That would have been the Benson and hedges cup final around 1989-90 time Notts needed four runs off the last ball and Eddie hit it for four brilliant end for Notts anyway.

Back in the days th final was on bbc or channel 4.
    Yes it was, Notts lost in the final the year before and it looked like history repeating itself until Eddie stepped up. I think Derek Pringles was the bowler?? cracking game.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Yes it was, Notts lost in the final the year before and it looked like history repeating itself until Eddie stepped up. I think Derek Pringles was the bowler?? cracking game.
    I think it was John Lever bowling. Best thing was that Eddie didn’t crack the ball to the boundary but carved it away and it reached the rope just ahead of the chasing fielder. There was some kid in the stand by the boundary urging the fielder to stop it and he was a mess when it crept over. Happy days. Made up for when Es*** beat us in the final when Rags chipped the final ball to mid on or off - I think that was the one where Pringle bowled the final over. Shame there’s no footage online.

I still have vivid memories of this game, even though I was only watching it on telly from a cheap and cheerful chalet somewhere around Yarmouth. My wife had taken the kids to play on the park, and I was left watching every ball nervously. Until that last ball that is. It was one of those chalets where the electricity was operated by coin meter, and the electricity cut off just before the final ball was being bowled! After frantically ramming a few coins into the meter, the TV came back on to scenes of celebrating Notts players. I had to make do with seeing the winning hit on the highlights later that night, but it taught me never to let the leccy get that low again!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I still have vivid memories of this game, even though I was only watching it on telly from a cheap and cheerful chalet somewhere around Yarmouth. My wife had taken the kids to play on the park, and I was left watching every ball nervously. Until that last ball that is. It was one of those chalets where the electricity was operated by coin meter, and the electricity cut off just before the final ball was being bowled! After frantically ramming a few coins into the meter, the TV came back on to scenes of celebrating Notts players. I had to make do with seeing the winning hit on the highlights later that night, but it taught me never to let the leccy get that low again!
    Ha ha I stayed in one of those type of chalets when the kids were small near Yarmouth, I think it was Hemsby or Scratby?

Thank you both. Happy days

PS I really must change my avatar!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast