+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Stewart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greg Stewart

How is it possible for Greg Stewart to have been probably one of Kilmarnock's best and most effective players consistently for the first half of the season?
    And then he moves to us for the second half of the season and turns into a pretty much less than bang average ineffective player.

How the fk is that even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    How is it possible for Greg Stewart to have been probably one of Kilmarnock's best and most effective players consistently for the first half of the season?
    And then he moves to us for the second half of the season and turns into a pretty much less than bang average ineffective player.

How the fk is that even possible.
    Simply because Derek just signs players that are available as opposed to ones who will fit in. However you have to ask why did Greg Stewart come back here after how Derek used him last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Simply because Derek just signs players that are available as opposed to ones who will fit in. However you have to ask why did Greg Stewart come back here after how Derek used him last season.
    This sounds pretty much like nail on the head to me, but maybe DM filled head of sh1te and told him things would be different this time around, which in reality and especially after watching yesterdays game is just nae happening.
    It's once again a classic example of square pegs / round holes scenario from our illustrious leader.
    It's clear there is a football player in Greg Stewart he was consistently one of the best performers for Killie, but now it's like Deja Vu and the peer lad who admitted himself that he felt he had unfinished business with us, will leave at the end of the season and still have unfinished business and again I blame DM

I really don't get it with Stewart. Yesterday he was poor - looked like the guy we had last season. The corner he gave away for the goal was ridiculous. Playing wide right seems to result in that type of performance though.

That said though, he's clearly one of the most skilful, intelligent and creative players we have in the squad. He shows it in flashes with us and clearly did so at Killie.

So why DM persists in playing him in a position that doesn't suit him - or us - I just don't understand. Its bizarre. Stewart out wide & McLennan in the middle just defies all logic, I'd love to hear the explanation for that one.

He & Wilson playing together could be a fantastic pairing IMHO - both share similar levels of intelligence and vision. I don't think we'll get to see it though given Wilson doesn't seem to do enough ever to justify getting picked and Stewart gets played in the wrong position constantly.

He just doesn't seem to fit with us. Given his level of ability, that's more of a reflection on us than him...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    I really don't get it with Stewart. Yesterday he was poor - looked like the guy we had last season. The corner he gave away for the goal was ridiculous. Playing wide right seems to result in that type of performance though.

That said though, he's clearly one of the most skilful, intelligent and creative players we have in the squad. He shows it in flashes with us and clearly did so at Killie.

So why DM persists in playing him in a position that doesn't suit him - or us - I just don't understand. Its bizarre. Stewart out wide & McLennan in the middle just defies all logic, I'd love to hear the explanation for that one.

He & Wilson playing together could be a fantastic pairing IMHO - both share similar levels of intelligence and vision. I don't think we'll get to see it though given Wilson doesn't seem to do enough ever to justify getting picked and Stewart gets played in the wrong position constantly.

He just doesn't seem to fit with us. Given his level of ability, that's more of a reflection on us than him...
    Yeah, we didn't get the best out of McLennan yesterday either because he was also out of position. Fair enough if for some tactical reason you think Stewart should start wide right, but when the guys hardly impacting the game after half an hour, just switch it around and put him back in his natural position and let McLennan have a go at their left back instead.

I do agree that Stewart would probably do better alongside a smarter forward like Wilson who makes runs and can play a bit more than someone like Cosgrove. We're still belting long balls up to his heid far too often for my liking.

Has he been that bad? He's not scored as many as I would have liked since his return but he's probably our most attacking player.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Has he been that bad? He's not scored as many as I would have liked since his return but he's probably our most attacking player.
    I guess he has not exactly been that bad, but he is nowhere near as effective for us as he was at Killie, and I just don't know why that is, or is it because of our basic DM tactic and instruction of hoof it up the park and aim for the donkey which then subsequently bypasses Stewart (and others obviously)

Someone mentioned that they thought Stewart was too clever a player for us and I think there might be an element of truth n that statement also.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post

Someone mentioned that they thought Stewart was too clever a player for us and I think there might be an element of truth n that statement also.

SF
    I would say Greg Stewart likes playing football on the deck as such and unfortunately this kind of style doesn’t suit us. We prefer to bypass a good chunk of the park and hoof it upto Sambo and expect him to do wonders with the ball. It’s amusing how folk used to give the likes of Inverness, St.Johnstone etc a hard time for being like this but somehow turn a blind eye to the Anchor Man and his tactics as he can do no wrong!

In my humble opinion, he's playing exactly like he did in his first spell and was the reason I didn't care when we didn't get him back at the beginning of the season.

However, his six months at Kilmarnock suggests the problem here is the manager and our style of play.

I'd actually drop him and return to the December team, which would mean no place for GMS either...

If I were brave at the bookies, I'd stick money on him scoring today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast