+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peterborough United Post Match Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Peterborough United Post Match Thoughts

All winning runs come to an end one day and it seems like after a dodgy first 30 minutes we at least gave a good showing for the last 71 (90+11 at the end, what was that all about?). Did we miss Crooks, I'm sure gwru won't see it that way? Late substitutions, although given the length of the game they still had 10 minutes to make their mark. No bigger games than Tuesday night (Note there for Frog )

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 25-01-2020 at 05:22 PM.

We just didn’t play as well as we have been. Too much ball in the air, didn’t use wings enough. Missed Crooks and Vass. Let’s hope they’re back Tuesday.

From the Twitter feed and stats, it sounded like we have played ok and deserved a point . Got to take our chances though. Need to bring in another defender, if only to keep the others on their toes and not conceding in the first couple of minutes of games. At present, we are not in a position to drop any defender if they don't perform properly.
    Also, even taking the stoppage into account, pointless waiting until injury time to bring on two subs, especially when we are a goal behind and even more especially when one of them is MacDonald! Unfathomable decisions by Warney. Does Barker need to keep reminding him how much time there is left in the game? :
    Last edited by mikemiller; 25-01-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Disappointed we didn't get something from the game but win some loss some. We are not top any more but is that a bad thing. If top you're there to be shot at and there's more pressure also, so let's move on to Tuesday and get behind the team.

We weren't going to keep on winning for ever. The bloke on final score said it was a hammering, but the stats don't support that view.
    Coventry will probably win their games in hand and overtake us, but if someone had said we would be playing Ipswich for the league leadership in the last week of January, I would certainly have taken that in August.

Get a draw or a win Tuesday then the following games,on paper, are well winnable...see where we are end of Feb.

Poor old Yates they bring him back doesn’t get a game & Swindon stay top of league with a 3-0 win.Come on Warney get your subs on early.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    We weren't going to keep on winning for ever. The bloke on final score said it was a hammering, but the stats don't support that view.
    Coventry will probably win their games in hand and overtake us, but if someone had said we would be playing Ipswich for the league leadership in the last week of January, I would certainly have taken that in August.
    Ironically jock, whilst mac Murray (who was watching the game on sky sports) said it was probably (not definitely) the right result, he couldn't understand how we didn't get a free kick on edge of box in time added on, and also how we didn't get a penalty just after that, when it was handled out of play and the ref gave a corner, when it clearly came off defenders arm. I wasn't there and haven't seen it so can't comment.
    All in all a bad day at the office but another big game on tuesday

Bitterly disappointing defeat. 2 poor goals conceded early killed us. Oggy at fault for first should have cleared it but fluffed his lines. Good move for their second made easier by Olosunde selling himself and getting caught out.
    I thought Toney and the little guy up front caused us a few problems but overall we were worth at least a point although we didn't create enough chances. Too much long ball again today and missed Crooks he has been the catalyst in the winning run, Wiles and Barlaser are too light in the middle.
    Iversen. I think he could have done better for both goals.
    Olosunde. By trying to close players down he's often over committing himself.
    Mattock. I've often spoken in his favour, especially last year when he had a good season but to me he didn't seem bothered today made mistakes and wasted a lot of ball.
    Ihiekwe. Lovely goal and solid performance against a good forward line.
    Wood. As above apart from goal.
    Wiles. Tried hard and didn't waste as much ball as he usually does.
    Barlaser. Not as effective as last few weeks, probably due not having Crooks at the side of him.
    Ogbene. At fault for first goal and didn't really get going today but he didn't have the same service.
    Adelakun. Lovely long shot in first half other than that didn't do a lot.
    Smith. Didn't win much today but brought the save of the match from their keeper
    Ladapo. Didn't cause them enough problems, this was his chance to shine and he didn't take it.
    Although I wouldn't blame the ref for the defeat but he was poor again.

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    Bitterly disappointing defeat. 2 poor goals conceded early killed us. Oggy at fault for first should have cleared it but fluffed his lines. Good move for their second made easier by Olosunde selling himself and getting caught out.
    I thought Toney and the little guy up front caused us a few problems but overall we were worth at least a point although we didn't create enough chances. Too much long ball again today and missed Crooks he has been the catalyst in the winning run, Wiles and Barlaser are too light in the middle.
    Iversen. I think he could have done better for both goals.
    Olosunde. By trying to close players down he's often over committing himself.
    Mattock. I've often spoken in his favour, especially last year when he had a good season but to me he didn't seem bothered today made mistakes and wasted a lot of ball.
    Ihiekwe. Lovely goal and solid performance against a good forward line.
    Wood. As above apart from goal.
    Wiles. Tried hard and didn't waste as much ball as he usually does.
    Barlaser. Not as effective as last few weeks, probably due not having Crooks at the side of him.
    Ogbene. At fault for first goal and didn't really get going today but he didn't have the same service.
    Adelakun. Lovely long shot in first half other than that didn't do a lot.
    Smith. Didn't win much today but brought the save of the match from their keeper
    Ladapo. Didn't cause them enough problems, this was his chance to shine and he didn't take it.
    Although I wouldn't blame the ref for the defeat but he was poor again.
    Agree with much of this Jake. Frustrating and annoying. Millers fans optimistic at the start with some in the pub that I spoke to before the game thinking it was in the bag. For those of us that have been following the Millers for 40+ years, this is always a worry. But anyhow, that buoyant mood was taken onto the ground and we started with great vibrancy.

For 2 minutes. And 2 corners, the 2nd of which finding us on retreat with Ogbene pants down like a 14 year old in the premiership. We didn't really see much from him again sadly. Peterborough's strikers were dangerous throughout the 1st half. The defense less so, and I always felt we had a chance of pulling it back in the 2nd half but it wasn't to be. Crooks was a huge loss. His spidery limbs and quick switch of plays is a massive factor in how we have moved forward and to lose him was a huge blow. Wiles in his place is like a kid for a grown up, very talented, lots to offer but not able to impose himself in a game of grown ups. Lots to come from him in the right formation but he's clearly not Crooks, and it showed.

Always felt we had it in us to get a draw but most likely would only get it from set pieces. And Peterborough did just enough to keep us out on those. Our loss of Crooks and bringing back Mattock, reverting Wiles to midfield was always going to be an adjustment and Peterborough seized it well. If they plug their defense, and keep their forward line going they will be right up there at the end.

Had a good view of the 'handball' - it hit his hand bit didn't seem like his arm was out from his body from my angle so didn't expect it to be given.

Lamy looked threatening when he came on. Hope he'll be an asset - and I will carry gru on shoulders in a a lap around town if he wins us the league. Unless he's a porker which I suspect might be the case...
    Last edited by ragingpup; 25-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast