+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Plans Explained

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Transfer Plans Explained

There seems to be some confusion over our transfer plans. So I’ll explain how it’s going to pan out.

Macari was only signed because our two bids for Conor Keeley were turned down. We will sign Keeley on a free in January. This is when Macari’s loan expires and he will go back to his parent club.

The reason why we haven’t signed any other defenders is because we are in essence treading water until Keeley can sign.

The club is well aware that we lack height and have found a ball playing defender with height. This will be a huge piece of the jigsaw to get us over the line into finishing top 7.
    Last edited by magpie2k4; 18-10-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    There seems to be some confusion over our transfer plans. So I’ll explain how it’s going to pan out.

Macari was only signed because our two bids for Conor Keeley were turned down. We will sign Keeley on a free in January. This is when Macari’s loan expires and he will go back to his parent club.

The reason why we haven’t signed any other defenders is because we are in essence treading water until Keeley can sign.

The club is well aware that we lack height and have found a ball playing defender with height. This will be a huge piece of the jigsaw to get us over the line into finishing top 7.
    I think Jesse Debrah was the other defender we intended to sign. It seems he had a medical at Notts and it ob turned up some issues that put Notts off signing him?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I think Jesse Debrah was the other defender we intended to sign. It seems he had a medical at Notts and it ob turned up some issues that put Notts off signing him?
    Just looked on Port Vale’s site and these are Debrah’s stats to date:

Minutes played: 53
    Games started: 1

He got a red card after 38 minutes in the game he started the other week - a 3-0 defeat at Bristol Rovers.

Cheers Luke and keep up the good work so far

Now hold on, are you saying the club wants the right signings even if there’s short term pain? What sort of strategy is that ? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Now hold on, are you saying the club wants the right signings even if there’s short term pain? What sort of strategy is that ? ��
    I know, it's madness. Why don't we just do what we did during the Trew-Derry days and sign 14 right-backs just in case?

Now hold on, are you saying the club wants the right signings even if there’s short term pain? What sort of strategy is that ? 😂
    Probably the right one. We are doing well overall. Whilst I've been massively critical of our defensive frailties we do need to bring in the "right" players for long term success. There is not much we can do currently unless we took one or two proven Championship or higher defenders on loan. We are still going to collect points. If we can stay in and around the top 7 until the new year I hope the Bros will invest for a top 3 push.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Probably the right one. We are doing well overall. Whilst I've been massively critical of our defensive frailties we do need to bring in the "right" players for long term success. There is not much we can do currently unless we took one or two proven Championship or higher defenders on loan. We are still going to collect points. If we can stay in and around the top 7 until the new year I hope the Bros will invest for a top 3 push.
    It is, I rather drop points and wait because as time goes on the squad gets stronger and stronger because we’ve brought in the right players.
    We could have easily got a couple of bog standard L2 senior defenders, they would probably want a 2 year contract so that’s probably 150 to 200k in wages and some sort of signing on fee, so with 2 you might not be far off a half million commitment for 2 players that you really aren’t that fond of and aren’t really going to progress you.

It is, I rather drop points and wait because as time goes on the squad gets stronger and stronger because we’ve brought in the right players.
    We could have easily got a couple of bog standard L2 senior defenders, they would probably want a 2 year contract so that’s probably 150 to 200k in wages and some sort of signing on fee, so with 2 you might not be far off a half million commitment for 2 players that you really aren’t that fond of and aren’t really going to progress you.
    Believe in our recruitment. They are doing a great job (generally) at bringing in players who fit in and are good prospects for the long term.

If we'd signed some height pre season like we should have done we'd be looking at a top 3 finish though. Can we seriously hang on in until January and then wait for Keeley to get up to speed??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast