Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
My comments related to personal taxation levels rather than corporate ones. Companies have a different agenda and collection of responsibilities. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe individuals have an inbuilt sense of fairness and the great majority would dispense with any ideas of avoidance if they perceived it to be a level playing field. I can't pretend to know exactly what flat rate of tax would result in the greatest revenue because there are so many contributing factors. However, in principle, I see no less reason to think that rate is 20% than 25% or 30%.
You make sensible points but very interesting that despite the research article you quoted opining that approx 40% top rate income tax is the 'sweet spot' for max public revenue, you would like to see your IFS report advice ignored and half that rate. I understand your commendable faith in the goodliness of multi millionaires with state of the art accountants, but can the rest of us, dependent on the public services for the well being of our families, afford such a risk??

Why are all these 'risks' we have taken in cuts to income and corporation tax in the last 40 years been in favour of the super rich? Are you happy with the direction it has led us, to the extent you want to make it even more extreme?

Good points raised though.