The Blades slim chances of the playoffs ended with flat and disappointing defeat at home to Preston North End. The visitors kept themselves in with a chance of making the top 6 after a narrow win earned when Alan Browne converted a rebound after Jamal Blackman had pushed out a long-range shot. Once again United had more of the ball, had more opportunities but looked pretty clueless when it mattered and limply went down to defeat in the end. It was another game with a bit more quality at both ends, the Blades would have easily won. The game ended with a lap of honour but manager Chris Wilder speaking rather publically about the boardroom situation and an emphatic statement that suggested if the two co owners did not sort matters out he will be off.

The game was played in unseasonably cold condition with rain and wind allied to a less than warm temperature. Both teams still had a chance of the playoffs albeit needing a lot of results to go either teams’ way. Wilder brought back Clarke, Sharp and also Kieron Freeman for a surprise return.

The game began in scrappy fashion with misplaced passes from both sides. It had the feeling of an end of season game with little to play for as Preston defended but United could not muster any real chances.

Robinson had a shot blocked by Evans for Preston before Clarke the got in but his effort was deflected behind. There has been little quality of note early on and Fisher was booked for a late tackle on Stevens and then Harrop clumsily upended Basham to also get a yellow card. Clarke had the best chance of the game when after a decent move; the ball came over from Stevens and Rudd and a defender blocked it out. Fleck then was booked after he gave it away and him and O’Connell dithered leading to the midfielder fetching his man down. Fleck and then Freeman had shots blocked as United ended the game on top. The half time whistle came though with few chances or moments of quality from either side.

The second half saw Clarke sprint away and have a shot saved fairly comfortably from Rudd. Robinson then had a cross shot narrowly evading Harrop. Preston then nearly got in again as Johnson probed with a good run. Evans had a poor few minutes as he got booked and then gave the ball away. From the resultant break; Harrop took a shot that Blackman weakly parried and Browne showed real desire to beat two United defenders to the punch and slide home.

United had a good spell of possession after the goal but too often the final ball came to nothing. Basham and Stevens sent crosses in that missed everyone and then Duffy took too long. A dangerous corner was headed clear before Brooks came on for Evans as United now had Fleck as the holding midfielder and Duffy and Brooks just behind Clarke and Sharp. Despite this attacking formation, the Blades could not create much and took too long to move the ball forward. Preston got men behind the ball and easily soaked things up. Indeed, but for an offside trap it would have been 2-0 as sub Clarke bundled home. Stevens was booked for a cynical foul as Preston broke not long after.

Baldock came on for Freeman and then soon after Leonard for Stearman but the home side lacked ideas and the crowd began to get frustrated as the final ball continued to disappoint. United’s best chance of the game came when after Baldock’s cross was punched clear; Duffy teed up Brooks hit a curling shot that was tipped over from Rudd. Sharp was then booked for pulling back Huntington as United began to get frustrated. The clock ticked down and Preston’s game management meant it was very stop start. Robinson broke and nearly added a second as Blackman tipped over. This chance was as good as anything United had created all game. Preston took and won several corners to waste a good portion of the 6 minutes additional time. A final free kick opportunity came and Blackman went forward but a foul was deemed to have been committed and that was it.

United – We actually were better than Preston but it was two poor teams. There were maybe a couple of chances each way. They scored one and had another saved. We had the Brooks effort and a few blocked but overall did not work the keeper anywhere near enough. We had so much of the ball but put in so many poor balls or took too long to move it on and create openings. The build up was agonisingly slow and then when it got to someone, the final ball often wretched. When the odd decent ball came in; we did not show the hunger to get in and they defended well. I felt like we could still be playing until August and not have scored. Key men such as Duffy and Fleck were off their game and I felt Sharp and Clarke did not look goal threats at all. The wing backs were wasteful when they got forward and of course we gave away another incredibly sloppy goal. The only player who came out with any credit was Basham – who was superb. A few others seemed to go through the motions today. Maybe they were just physically and mentally tired. It looked all a bit much for some of them to get on the ball and make things happen. It was all a bit safe. Did we really want to score a goal or make a chance? The evidence suggested not.

It was annoying as technically and in terms of play we had so much more of the ball and to be honest Preston looked a really poor side and one that should have been dispatched easily. However, we take forever to move it on and then when we do, ordinary teams like them get men behind the ball and we keep recycling it but go nowhere. We have no pace and real creativity up top and thus we almost have to make or take the perfect goal.

At the other end we make errors and teams capitalise as they are much more ruthless sadly. It is a shame today petered out but in truth that sums up the last few months where we have not been good enough. Are some of the players good enough for a team serious about the top 6 – probably not and Wilder knows that and today was a casing point.

I will put my views on the season in a few weeks when I do my review; but despite the feeling of what a good season; it all feels a bit flat tonight. If we had played well and won; then at least we would have finished on a good note but the last few games we have been really poor and looked a side on the beach.

Of course, Wilder has gone public on his frustration behind the scenes saying it needs sorting out. Sadly, I am sure I am not alone in thinking this is the sort of situation that could go on for years not months and I see no way that there will be a quick end to the situation. Neither will budge and it will end up in the courts and be something that runs and runs. I might be wrong but would be stunned if the situation is resolved by the start of next season. Wilder then has a choice. He carries on with a team and limited investment that would mean anything around mid-table next season would be a success and indeed a struggle could be on the cards; or he seeks an opportunity with a club that can match his ambition. I think he will stay. Not sure a sideways step; at least in divisional terms to someone like a Southampton or a West Brom is that an attractive a move. However, if we are in the same situation come Xmas; he will go to the first decent job that presents itself. We then could be in bother and I feel have much more chance of exiting the league back down the bottom end than the top end again which would be a massive disappointment after the work of the last 2 years.