Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
I don't think so. Root's figures are misleading, he came on when Surrey were throwing the bat because they knew they already had a match winning lead, and just wanted a few quick runs so Notts would face more overs before the close. He was going for than more 8 runs an over bowling to tail enders. Look more to the batsmen, who seem to have no guts for a fight. They probably got the worst of the conditions, but when Harry Gurney is your top scorer you have real problems. It's easy to blame the captain, but Mullaney commands respect and is one of the few to have performed reasonably well. The players need to take a long, hard look at themselves, because there is no way this squad should be performing as badly as they are.
OK then, Root got lucky, but we do seem a bit complacent about having 4 decent seamers. As often as not they toil all day for very little reward. It seems more variety is needed. Mullaney is one of the few who can get a decent score, but he's not that reliable, is he? A second ball duck and 23 says he's not.

And so, we lose by an innings and 183 runs. That's just pathetic, really. I wish I didn't care but after being a junior member for years, it still troubles me.