How predictable.

Amber Rudd’s description of Abbott as “coloured” was clumsy and silly,especially as that as a highly educated individual she should know better.

I have to constantly remind my elderly mother that what was the “norm” for much of her life is now not acceptable and that describing something that’s dark brown as n****r brown or people as “coloured” is now very much frowned upon.

The thing is that my mum is not a racist and I very much doubt that Amber Rudd is either.

It would be so refreshing to see the likes of Abbott refrain from such indignant “points scoring” type responses in the media and to have a personal quiet word with Rudd which she could so easily have done.

Rudd was actually using Diane Abbott in a very supportive way in the topic of discussion which makes the response seem all the more vindictive.

Rudd was publicy very apologetic to Abbott as soon as she realised her gaff.

On a personal note I entered a team in a tournament at the Hawthorns 5 years ago and we played a team that was Asian only in make up.

The “racism” our lads suffered at their hands was unbelievable and we had an Indian lad playing for us who’s dad is very well connected at the club and he wanted me to make an official complaint as he was so embarrassed about fellow Asians acting in that way.

I refused to do that and every time one of there lot called us “White Boy” we just laughed at them.

A sense of perspective is needed,especially by those supposedly representing us rather than this opertunistic stuff so prevalent at the moment.

Rudd was wrong but so was Abbott’s zest to put the boot in.