Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
Before that "straight swap" he'd changed it to 4-5-1 with Thomas already out on the wing then put Dennis on to go 4-3-3 with Enzio, Dennis and Wootton upfront. Thomas had an awful game even with his tap in so I had no complaints with that sub at all, it was the defensive Booty for Shields (although he was injured) sub that cost us but presumably Ardley thought we'd have more chance hanging on to a 1-0 lead by doing that than a like for like winger for winger (Osborne) when he can't trust Osborne defensively.
I would agree that Shields injury actually made matters worse for us on saturday, for me he was the best of a bad bunch. Regarding the change to 451, I'm not convinced that happened and if it did I don't think it was necessarily intentional. Thomas has a tendency to drift out wide, mainly because he is hoping for better service out there. Equally Shields has a tendency to drift inside so the two compliment each other when that happens. Also, why go to a 5 man midfield when you are leading 1-0 at home? That is a very negative tactic. If we had been more assertive in our approach Sutton would never have got a look in. Just my opinion of course.