Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
‘Same old, same old. How?’
For years it seemed as if there was an annual January Derby collapse. Now, for the second year running we seem to have swapped to February.

The fact that Bolton and Posh are ‘faring no better’ having ‘spent money in January’ is of limited consolation. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’ve only remained in the automatic places because of the failings of others…and we have also spent - or committed money - too…£300k and wages for CBT and wages etc for Adams.

Fact is we were ultimately fortunate to take all the points from Stevenage and we’ve apparently - I saw neither match - been very poor since.
As you said, and I agreed, it needs sorting quickly…starting on Saturday against another outfit fighting for L1 survival. Thankfully February will be done so maybe there’ll be a change of fortune.
I'm still puzzled as to how you can describe a run of 6 games, in which Derby lost 2 as a slump in February? OK 10 from a possible 18 pts was less than one would have hoped for, but its still hardly a slump. Whether there has been a "slump" in performances in January for years or whether that is just a perception is open to question, one would have to compare results which I haven't done, but certainly to describe the loss of the final 2 games in this month as a slump is not accurate.

Also however we have played and against Barnsley the general view, with the exception of those who seem to expect fantasy football in this league, was that Derby played well and were unlucky to lose, and perhaps derby were "lucky" to beat Stevenage but in the end its the result that matters.

I accept its frustrating that we have not managed to consolidate the current position and that's 2 games where we have scored first and lost, which is rather concerning and something as you say that needs addressing and for that the coach and team can be justifiably criticised.

I mention Posh and Bolton purely to illustrate that 2 clubs not as financially constrained as Derby are doing no better, it gives Derby's performance context which its important to remember.

It is rather out of Warne's hands when players make errors such as Wildsmith did and whilst yes its valid to say that there appears to be an inability to change tactics or shape to break down teams, to be fair Warne has changed the way the team plays and personnel quite drastically in games and after all one can only use the players available within the squad.