Name:  Fly Away Magpies.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  100.6 KB

I’ve mentioned before on the forum that I remember flying to a couple of games years ago on trips organised by the Supporters Club. I got no response, and I was beginning to think I’d dreamt it until I came across the front page of the Evening Post from Saturday, January 22, 1972.

The article says, “Seventy-three Notts County supporters on their way in style today to the all-important promotion clash with Bournemouth. Organised by the Football Supporters Club, it was the first-ever trip by plane to be arranged, and all seats on the Viscount aircraft were fully booked weeks ago. Today’s luxury trip cost £10.95 – but everything was laid on. Coaches left Meadow Lane for East Midlands Airport, and when the plane landed at Herne, the supporters were then provided with special coaches and grandstand seats at the ground.”

It was the first time I’d flown, and it was an experience to remember, especially in a Viscount! The game attracted over 21,000, Bournemouth’s biggest gate for 10 years. Notts lost thanks to goals by Ted McDougall and West Bridgford-born Phil Boyer and missed the chance to go top. We remained second, one point behind Aston Villa and ahead of Bournemouth on goal average.

The Supporters Club organised another trip to an away game by plane that season. I can’t remember whether it was against Plymouth or Torquay.