+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English football...

re: English football...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdder
    Wonder how many British players could get into the Barcelona or Real Madrid sides? Hard to think of any.
    Agree that SKY money will drop and foreign leagues will probably attract the big money. The best players will follow the money abroad.
    I think the Champions League should only be for League Champions and should be played out on a knock out basis, with home and away legs and no away goals rule.
    Bit like it used to be.
    Erm, there's that Gareth Bale bloke - he might get into the Real Madrid team I suppose.

The problem with British football is that it tends to be 100mph attacking-with-gusto football, which while generating exciting football that can be sold around the world, will not produce the type of football required to win on the European and World stages. Everyone tends to panic on the ball, and this pressure to get on with it weirdly even seems to spread to foreign players in the British leagues.
    The English failure in Europe is further compounded by the fact that most of the big stars in England are getting on a bit. Witness Rio Ferdinand's 'performance' in the Chumpion's League on Tues. 'Abject' is being kind. He should be in retirement, not in Man Ure's starting line-up. Where are the young players to replace the ageing stars?
    Plus, all the top sides in England are currently a bit crap. Don't know where that puts Pompey then. (On yeah I do, bottom of League 2... )

Well done Tottenham, our last hope, then again they have got Benfica in the last 16

Quote Originally Posted by chiswickmart
    Wonder how many British players could get into the Barcelona or Real Madrid sides? Hard to think of any.
    Erm, there's that Gareth Bale bloke - he might get into the Real Madrid team I suppose.[/quote]

Well that's one I suppose, any others?

Quote Originally Posted by pfcsteve72
    Well done Tottenham, our last hope, then again they have got Benfica in the last 16
    Terrific fightback from Spurs. It would be great if they could go all the way and win it. They'll be hoping Juventus get knocked out though, as the final is in their stadium.

Just goes to show how bad the premier league really is. Most of them took a good stuffing and Chelsea's performance last nite was nothing short of abysmal and embarassingly negative against a dreadful galatasray side even when winning. Mind you, with Mr Anti Football in charge of them i would expect nothing different.

Sky are finished. Apparently BT sport ala virgin have already taken huge parts of the market as Sky only get the **** games in the prem and crap championship fayre and people are moving in droves. I currently pay 70 odd quid a month for Sky but am changing to Virgin for a massively better package for nearly half the price next week.

I'm looking forward to watching the Bundasliga ,french ligue 1 aswell as the FA cup and the selected prem games. I cant remember 1 decent game on Sky this season as theyve been left the floor scrapings in terms of coverage.

I agree with Enfield that the overseas markets are attracted to the 100mph exciting football of the Premier League but I also think that more than that they are attracted to winning and successful clubs and the English clubs are far from that at the moment. They are hardly died-in-the-wool supporters. Mind you, I think it is a bit rich of Scottish supporters to mock the lack of success of English clubs!

English football...

After the usual prolonged waffle the draw eventually was made as follows...

Bsrcelona v Atletico Madrid
    Madrid v Borussia Dortmund
    Paris St Germain v Chelsea
    Man U v Bayern Munich

Both games to be played in the first 2 weeks of April, first drawn teams play at home in game 1.

I'd expect Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Bayern in the semis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)