+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Cooper

George Cooper

Hmmmm, how long before clubs come sniffing around after him? let's hope he's got a more sensible head stuck on the right way agent!

re: George Cooper

The problem now seems to be that the club is losing money hand over fist or so they tell us and so they will want players sold asap and maybe the days when we saw Ashton and others spending two, three or more seasons have gone forever and so that is one weakness of the academy that puts the interest of other clubs over our own ambitions. The club will say and some fans will as well, that is the ultimate Raison d'etre of the club.

George Cooper

Paul ,I would asssume that if he carries on as he has started, by the end of the season (and who knows how good he will be by then)is when the speculation will begin

Any club watching his free kick will have had their scouts watching. Had they been at the Sheffield Utd game they will have been somewhat underwhelmed. 17 (now 18) year olds are bound to blow hot and cold when first introduced to the first team, as we know with Waters earlier this campaign; even Powell did in his first few matches and he was in League 2.

I think we can be safe in thinking he'll be with us for at least the rest of this season and, given his contract, if anyone wants to offer us silly money they are welcome to try I guess. But I want to see him for all of next season as well . . . at least.

He will be given time to develop and if and when he is good enough (remember Colclough last season), Cooper will be sold on. I would think that the lad will be used sparingly this season, before being used fully during the 2015-16 season. Money is obviously tight and as we are a selling club, this is the only way the Alex can continue as a football club. I have no qualms concerning this aspect of the running of our club.

It is interesting to compare the fears that some have of Cooper going too soon (and too cheaply) with the thread about Toots who, on current form, may have missed the boat for both his personal playing and financial improvement and the benefit of the Club getting big money for him.

I hope and believe that Toots can get his form back, but I think that it shows the difficult balancing act that the club has in getting the best deal for the club (in financial and playing terms) and also for the player's professional and financial future. Either way will be wrong for some fans and, sadly, for some players.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    It is interesting to compare the fears that some have of Cooper going too soon (and too cheaply) with the thread about Toots who, on current form, may have missed the boat for both his personal playing and financial improvement and the benefit of the Club getting big money for him.

I hope and believe that Toots can get his form back, but I think that it shows the difficult balancing act that the club has in getting the best deal for the club (in financial and playing terms) and also for the player's professional and financial future. Either way will be wrong for some fans and, sadly, for some players.
    That is a fair point but its also a problem more for the player who is bummed up by the club as this or that and they did it with Clayton and also Toots who was an OK full back but nothing special where some club would pay Crewe's valuation. I'm not even sure he could go that much higher without a fee imho. But if proved wrong tha

Mike your last paragraph was written like a true Vale fan !

Quote Originally Posted by supercrewe
    Mike your last paragraph was written like a true Vale fan !
    Hey?

What's a true Vale fan? One who just attends away matches according to their chairman! Or was that just home matches?

One third of any transfer fee spent on the first team via better wages to attract better players to provide a balance of experience alongside the young academy graduates would do just fine..

To Crewe, saving the money for a rainy day means in someone's wallet which may never be repaid in cash to the detriment of the fans.