+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Society Take Over

re: Well Society Take Over

Quote Originally Posted by wellowell
    My worry is I take it Les still wants all his money back so as well as running the club day to day we have to find 650k as well seems a big ask to me and I'm in favour of well society as all my family in it
    Well we were told Rangers going out the league costus 160,000 a year ,that will be Les's money for next 4 seasons, if we stay up...

The question to be asked and realistically only time will tell is does the WS have the business acumen to succeed and I don't know the answer to that. To some extent it's a step into the unknown.
    Attendance at Fir Park has slowly been eroding for several years so I don't see the fan base unfortunately as being able to sustain the club. Hoping OF gate money, summer football and increased TV money will be a generate significant increased revenue is IMO hypothetical and would not formulate the core of a sound business plan.
    I get that Les wants the WS to succeed and by removing his subsidies forces the issue, our present model relies heavily on the owner funding the clubs day to day operation/survival. Perhaps the WS focus and the outcome will be the club's revival, I certainly hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin
    As far as I'm concerned that's the worst scenario. As I've said before, we haven't got a big enough fan base for us to be a supporter owned club.
    Before the news broke yesterday, what scenario were you hoping for? I'm still not sure what is happening and will await further details, but ostensibly all thats happening is that the takeover is being brought forward by 3/4 years.

Those of us who have argued for years that football clubs should be owned by their fans should be pleased at the news. Of course the details of the loan repayments are important but the bottom line will be that the future of the club will be based on decisions we take. That has to be better than having a single owner who could walk away at any time.

I agree you should only moan about it if there is other options but there is not so everybody should get behind it and see where it takes us if we have to reduce wages and end up in championship because of it so be it but we need to give it a go as no other alternative

Agree we have to cut our cloth in line with the money we have available.Just hope the Well Society now come out and make contact with their members and fans and let us know the true financial situation and what their aims are for the club.As for the last 3-4 months they have been conspicuous by their absence and total lack of information,more than ever the club needs the fans and their support and cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    As far as I'm concerned that's the worst scenario. As I've said before, we haven't got a big enough fan base for us to be a supporter owned club.
    Before the news broke yesterday, what scenario were you hoping for? I'm still not sure what is happening and will await further details, but ostensibly all thats happening is that the takeover is being brought forward by 3/4 years. [/quote] I don't know. A mega rich sugar Daddy that would cough up when required.....The problem is they are pretty thin on the ground. Seriously, I don't know what's best, Maybe the well society will come good and be the perfect way forward for us but I can't see it. I think a fan base about the size of Hearts is the minimum required for fan ownership.

My preferred option is a Board comprising 2 directors but realistically that isn't going to happen. We have 2 options in theory: let the club go to the wall or the Well Society. The Society is by no means perfect but its the only real option we have.

My worry is that we have the right folk that are going to be making some big calls in the future.I am bit taken a back by the whole thing all the media,the whole waiting around on the take over to last next to no time.All I see which has happen is he hired a charlatan in IB,let him spend lots of wages on really bad players and more or less in the same mire as before if not worse.

As I said getting right folk off the park now is the important thing.

Well, all clubs hire bad managers occasionally. If we give McGhee the benefit of the doubt for now, Hutchison's record is 1-1.

Anyway, I do agree about concern over whether we have the right people involved. we have a small talent pool compared to Hearts for the Well Society to pick from but quite frankly I see little reason why anyone with talent and experience would want to get involved, or would stick it out for the long-haul if they do. It takes up a wad of time, is essentially voluntary and gets near constant criticism online from folk who don't contribute themselves. It's not an attractive package for a task which resembles pushing water uphill.

Now Motherwell made the conscious decision not to replace Dempster like for like to save money and, without getting into the debate again about whether that was wise, there's comes a point when only doing the absolute minimum to keep the lights on does not work. I have no real business sense but I find it impossible to fathom a 5-mi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)