+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Club servants.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Bang on!!!
    closest we have is Bryson just for longevity I guess, and for that hat trick.

Players like Giggs, Scholes, Carragher, Gerrard, Adams and Terry are probably the nearest in that they've all stayed pretty much with one club but then they've all been so handsomely rewarded that that's hardly been a sacrifice. Maybe the closest we've got at the moment is, imo, Keogh...could probably have moved elsewhere, puts his head in where it hurts, plays through injury, has put up with crap from some fans and still seems more committed than most...but overall I suspect any real 'club servants' are now to be found only in the lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Elsewhere tonight Rich has generously referred to Jonny Russell as a 'great servant for the club'. I disagree...in his four years or so with us he has always tried hard, not always successfully, but has also been very well rewarded for his efforts. Set me wondering as to whether, in this day and age of ridiculous re-numeration, there are any genuine 'club servants' left. The likes of Kevin Hector, Roy McFarland and Steve Powell...who spent the majority of their careers with the Rams, went on to earn relatively ordinary livings and, in at least two of those examples, suffered injuries that would effect them for the rest of their lives, might reasonably be referred to as 'great club servants' imo but, in this age of journeymen mercenaries, have we seen any more recent 'great club servants'...Gordon Guthrie apart? Thoughts?
    Good post - certainly got me thinking. Initial thought is Bobby Davison. I'm sure he could have moved from us and gone and played higher a couple of times before he left, but stayed and continued getting that Baseball Ground mud down the front of his shirt!

What's he doing now?

Youth team coach at Palace and Asst Manager of England Under 19's.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Youth team coach at Palace and Asst Manager of England Under 19's.
    Cheers - I'm glad he's still 'in the game'. Where are Andy Comyn and Simon Coleman?

Andy Comyn is Vice Principal and Financial Controller at Dudley College. Simon Coleman is in the Sports Academy at Garibaldi College in Notts.

Andy Comyn is Vice Principal and Financial Controller at Dudley College. Simon Coleman is in the Sports Academy at Garibaldi College in Notts.
    Andy Comyn's claim to fame is the fastest ever own goal after coming on as a sub - 17 seconds against Bristol City in '92 I believe. diving header that I could have caught if there hadn't been a net.

Is that knowledge or google?

A bit of both!! I find it very interesting what old players who have not earned Megabucks get up to after hanging up their boots. Mainly Ex Rams but also those one remembers for one reason or another! Obviously, modern players of a decent standard will earn enough for a good living for them and their families after quitting the game but lesser lights will still need to earn a crust so what they are up to I find intriguing!!

A bit of both!! I find it very interesting what old players who have not earned Megabucks get up to after hanging up their boots. Mainly Ex Rams but also those one remembers for one reason or another! Obviously, modern players of a decent standard will earn enough for a good living for them and their families after quitting the game but lesser lights will still need to earn a crust so what they are up to I find intriguing!!
    What about Jeff Chandler and Steve Buckley?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)