Quote Originally Posted by OptimisticBaggie View Post
I think the term fan & supporter are interchangeable and I don't think you can measure it by games attended or money put into the club.

I am at most home matches but 75% of them I am been paid to be there and provide medical cover, does the fact that the club pays me more money (indirectly) than I spend on tickets/merchandise make me less of a fan?

My own definition : -

If you would ever consider changing allegiances if your club hit on hard times then you are a follower, not a fan or supporter.

I used to go to watch Moor Green play, it was cheap to get in and within easy staggering distance of home, but I would never have called myself a Moor Green supporter as my heart as always been with Albion & I stopped going when they moved the ground down to Solihull.

How many of these "Massive Man U supporters" would still be fans if they somehow managed to get relegated?
This is the reason I wouldn't turn to non league football. Cheaper, easier access, less time away from home, no prima donnas, BUT their results would mean very little to me. Therefore the excitement, the buzz, and yes, the feeling of disappointment, wouldn't exist which are all key essentials to being a fan (or whatever you want to call it!).