+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Building for the future

Quote Originally Posted by ThryberghMILLER23 View Post
    When am I ranting ?, for one I'm happy at our position in the table and I'm happy we are not spending big money!!, so where is my rant ?. So you would like us to show ambition?, spend above the means we have, and if it goes tits up and we don't get promotion then will you be the first one out with a bucket or one on here moaning we are having to sell any assets we have. Remember a team who we played not long back at Wembley who are now in the Conference and struggling?, They are a perfect example!!. Get over yourself if you want big money signings then ring the club and pull a million quid out of your back pocket pal!.

Same again. I’ve never mentioned million pound signings. But we need to spend some money and have a squad of our own. This club is currently as poorly managed as ever before. No strategy just hand to mouth survival.

By the way, did Leyton Orient spend big then? No they didn’t- just another emotive rant

This is just puzzling 🤔

I get why we can’t sign Talented players in their prime if we are building for the future and not the now but surely to build for the future like TS wants he has to have a full team of first team youths with experienced players to guide them, so shouldn’t we invest in players for the future during this window?

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Exactly right (except that Moore cost Ipswich £10k not £20k)
    And he tried him int Championship which didn't bring out the best out of Moore.

I'm not sure why some people have taken Donald Valley's original post out of context. Maybe they have their own agenda.
    Surely what he says is correct. If we are to build for the future then we need to recruit our own players and not keep relying on loans who do well for us and then either go back to their parent clubs or get sold on elsewhere because we can't afford to buy them.
    So far this season we have lost our leading scorer and it looks as though Towell, Emmanuel and possibly Rodak will leave at the end of the season assuming they are not recalled before this transfer window closes. So that's a third of our regular first team that will need replacing which suggests the foundations of the squad are built on sand.
    Occasional loans are sensible for a club of our size but surely we are overdoing it and need to start bringing in more of our own players to consolidate the squad.
    I can't see where Donald Valley or anyone else has suggested spending beyond our means. Loan players don't come free and it would be nice to see some of that money invested into our own if the chairman really is serious about building for the future.

For me the loan system is a great system if you're at the top or bottom of the league. They can be the difference between a team going up or going down but they should never be used to complete a team.

If a club has to use loan signings to see themselves through a season with a full compliment of players then the club is being badly run. Rotherham United need a competitive team that can stand on its own without the use of loans.

A good point to bring in a loan this season for The Millers was at the time we had the injury of Proctor. Unfortunately the rules of the game changed when these types of loans were stopped.

So now we're left with developing and improving players for the long term good of the owning club. We get the benefit for the limited time they're with us but the financial benefit is not with us and never will be.

Yes they did spend above there means, paying crazy wages to achieve promotion and then went tits up when we beat them. We are not in survival ? we are 7th. Our club has signed some decent players and brought a couple in on loan who have been a big factor along the way. Why not wait till the end of the season and then judge our recruitment efforts. I just think people need to find things to moan about when we miss out on a signin and try and blame the club. He was always going to pick a club paying massive wages, over us. We could get 3 good l1 players for the ammount Barnsley paid for Kiefer. OUR STRUCTURE IS NO DIFFERENT TO NEARLY ALL LOWER LEAGUE CLUBS. This will happen again time to get used to it cos we are not a massive championship club we are a l1 club who flirts with the championship every now and again.

Yes they did spend above there means, paying crazy wages to achieve promotion and then went tits up when we beat them. We are not in survival ? we are 7th. Our club has signed some decent players and brought a couple in on loan who have been a big factor along the way. Why not wait till the end of the season and then judge our recruitment efforts. I just think people need to find things to moan about when we miss out on a signin and try and blame the club. He was always going to pick a club paying massive wages, over us. We could get 3 good l1 players for the ammount Barnsley paid for Kiefer. OUR STRUCTURE IS NO DIFFERENT TO NEARLY ALL LOWER LEAGUE CLUBS. This will happen again time to get used to it cos we are not a massive championship club we are a l1 club who flirts with the championship every now and again.
    I'm not sure what this has got to do with building for the future which is what our chairman said we were going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I'm not sure what this has got to do with building for the future which is what our chairman said we were going to do.
    Can you please remind me the average age of our squad?, the ages of the likes of our centre halfs who have talent but are raw or the like of Vaulks and Wiles who are baby's in football terms. We have brought in younger players, if they are good enough to make the grade up and make us money is to be seen but the club are trying to build. I'm sorry but you have to be patient rome was not built in a day and we don't have the money to buy the best. I agree the acadamy in brinsworth needs sorting and the infrastructure in the younger ages sorting as they are really poor but also that takes time. I believe Tony Stewart still wants the best but is not willing to throw millions away to achevie it, how many football clubs make a profit ?

Can you please remind me the average age of our squad?, the ages of the likes of our centre halfs who have talent but are raw or the like of Vaulks and Wiles who are baby's in football terms. We have brought in younger players, if they are good enough to make the grade up and make us money is to be seen but the club are trying to build. I'm sorry but you have to be patient rome was not built in a day and we don't have the money to buy the best. I agree the acadamy in brinsworth needs sorting and the infrastructure in the younger ages sorting as they are really poor but also that takes time. I believe Tony Stewart still wants the best but is not willing to throw millions away to achevie it, how many football clubs make a profit ?
    Good points

However following that logic in recruiting young players, shouldn’t we have some young strikers too?

Not by using millions but by spending thousands because I would have thought that the whole idea of building for the future is have a full squad of young players aiming to push the old experienced ones out of the team.
    This is why I like Yates yeah he’s not ready and can do with a loan move but he’s there. Let’s face it we will never be able to buy lots of strikers who are ready made.

Rome wasn’t built in a day but to build anything you need the materials to build with.

Although I think gwru would prefer to just try to buy Rome with peanuts lol

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456