+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyche plays the underdog card...

Sinkov
    I guess we will see in due course. He did say our Salary bill was not £60m as some think, but £37m

SD has built something special at Burnley and has improved the whole infrastructure of the club as a result of the success we have had and the money which that has brought in.
    The problem is that, no matter which way you look at it, we do not have rich owners like many other PL and even Championship clubs and this makes it very difficult to compete. Having said that, SD has managed to motivate players and to get results which were far better than any fans expected, however, this relative success has led to the problems we encounter now in that the expectation of many fans far outweighs the capabilities of the club ---unless there is a large input of outside investment which would enable us to move forward.

We have to enjoy the moment because we are never going to be far from possible financial disaster if the reins are loosened too much.
    It is always easy to criticise when it is not your own money that you are spending but none of us know exactly what is happening and it is unthinkable to many fans that Sean may well depart whether it be sooner or later, however, he will at some time but life will carry on.
    130 years as a football league club is something to be proud of!

Yes it’s a big leap from having to toe the line with his PR interviews “knowing BFC’s capabilities”, to what he’s saying now.

He did something similar a few years ago with undertones of not being happy which loosened the strings a little, but this time he’s let go with his real thoughts, which he has had to do as he knows he needs reinforcements to maintain the Club.

So it looks like it’s up to penny pincher Garlick, does he back him or watch him say ta ta when a better offer comes along ?

It would not surprise me one bit if Garlick didn’t budge, all his bollox about being a Burnley supporter has never washed with me, he’s a business man first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Yes it’s a big leap from having to toe the line with his PR interviews “knowing BFC’s capabilities”, to what he’s saying now.

He did something similar a few years ago with undertones of not being happy which loosened the strings a little, but this time he’s let go with his real thoughts, which he has had to do as he knows he needs reinforcements to maintain the Club.

So it looks like it’s up to penny pincher Garlick, does he back him or watch him say ta ta when a better offer comes along ?

It would not surprise me one bit if Garlick didn’t budge, all his bollox about being a Burnley supporter has never washed with me, he’s a business man first and foremost.
    Still not one comment coming from SD that he is not being backed. He would love access to Citeh's millions, in the same way I would like a new Aston Martin. Neither of us are going to get what we want so we will just have to Keep Calm & Carry On!

I'm guessing we would chuck £50 million at it, but we will not pay wages of £75k a week. Sounds right with me!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Completely agree Sinkov.He has lost patience with the board and I for one do not blame him.He will be plying his trade elsewhere as soon as a good offer comes along from a club willing to spend and give him the tools for the job.
    Leicester when they sack Puel....rumour has it that Puel needs to get off to a flying start. The owners were not happy the Foxes missed out on Europe.

Bonus: It's a short commute from Kettering and back.
    Last edited by lancyclaret; 02-08-2018 at 10:17 AM.

I think that a hell of a lot hinges around the wage structure of the club.
    Any new players coming in and wanting mega wages, unless they are of exceptional quality, will definitley upset other players and could easily lead to a lot of disharmony within the team and I am sure that Sean himself is well aware of this possibility.

Agree super
    I don’t think the issue is transfer fees, but wages and if we pay more to a new one the rest will want more.
    If our wage bill is as Sean said £37m we would need relegation clauses to go higher and some may not like that.

Spotrac said our wages were £33m last year https://www.spotrac.com/epl/burnley-f.c/payroll/2017/
    Jack and 6 others are on £35k three on £30k three on 28k and three on £25k

Marney £1.2m Arfield £1.2m and GKNK £1.8m have gone
    Currently they say it’s £27.6m.

How much can we afford?

That salary tabke only takes into account the senior players and does not include manager, backroom staff, CEO. youth players and staff, administrators etc., etc.
    How much we can afford will be whatever the Chairman and the Board decide. I have no idea at all.

The Club HAVE to remain in a strong financial position.We cannot afford to go down the road which we have in the past.It is up to the financial people at the Club to have strong policies in place which they adhere to and it is only they who can decide whether we can afford to loosen the purse strings.

Sean is a football man and in those terms he is in a relatively secure job on a very good salary.If he wishes to compete financially in the EPL it will not be at Burnley.If he is given that chance then it will be his decision whether he takes it.

The Board have sensibly spent money at Gawthorpe and hopefully in the future that will pay dividends.I am also sure that the Board are very conscious of the need to have a plan in place for when Sean leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    That salary tabke only takes into account the senior players and does not include manager, backroom staff, CEO. youth players and staff, administrators etc., etc.
    How much we can afford will be whatever the Chairman and the Board decide. I have no idea at all.
    There was a report by D&T a while ago where they said it was acceptable for a club to spend something between 60/70% of turnover on wages. On that basis we could safely run a wage bill of up to around £80m on current turnover.

Our staff costs in the Accounts for the 16/17 season, the latest figures available, were £61m, so we're operating on a sound financial basis and there is scope to pay more. The problem is that turnover falls off a cliff edge should you be relegated. Wages however don't.
    Last edited by sinkov; 02-08-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)