+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Alexis Korner, now there's a name from the past. In my first job in the early 80s I used to work nights (the only one in the factory apart from the security guard) and Radio 2 through the night with him was the only entertainment in those days to keep me company.
    I met him briefly in about 1971 when he came to give a talk at my university. (There were only about a half dozen of us who turned up so it was a friendly chat round the table.) Just look at the list of people who played in his band, Blues Incorporated. Reads like a who's who of sixties music. That gravelly voice was very recognizable, CAM, on radio. I remember he smoked incessantly through the university session - those 'licorice stick' roll-ups, I recall. Did him in in his mid-fifties, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I met him briefly in about 1971 when he came to give a talk at my university. (There were only about a half dozen of us who turned up so it was a friendly chat round the table.) Just look at the list of people who played in his band, Blues Incorporated. Reads like a who's who of sixties music. That gravelly voice was very recognizable, CAM, on radio. I remember he smoked incessantly through the university session - those 'licorice stick' roll-ups, I recall. Did him in in his mid-fifties, sadly.
    Thinking back it might have been Radio 1 as I seem to remember John Peel handing over to him around midnight. At the time I never knew his background/fame/importance - no Wikipedia in those days to use as a quick reference. Sadly look like his 3 children have also died fairly young.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Thinking back it might have been Radio 1 as I seem to remember John Peel handing over to him around midnight. At the time I never knew his background/fame/importance - no Wikipedia in those days to use as a quick reference. Sadly look like his 3 children have also died fairly young.
    Alexis Korner was also in the studio band of the 60's BBC children's tv programme "Five O'Clock Club", alongside Ollie Beak and Fred Barker...Name:  fbarker.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  72.1 KB

I wonder if Ollie and Fred ever had a Northern Soul hit!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-10-2018 at 05:45 PM.