+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Good effort mate but I would have scored Stead higher . " Turkey" , you gotta be fishing.
    Ha ha! Just saw that now. That's a combination of too much beer and auto-correct on my phone. Let's call it a festive faux-pas!

It seems the general consensus is I've not sufficiently rewarded Stead for his efforts and on reflection agree and think an 8 is warranted. There were a couple of times in the first half where I felt he was looking for cheap free kicks instead of playing to the whistle and so had that in my mind. But, I think that's a bit churlish really considering his overall impact on the game.

Think the OP is a little generous with the defensive marks. This was slightly reminiscent of an early-season Notts performance in that we were good going forward (what a difference having the quality of Stead and Hemmings back makes) but very, very poor and easy to score against. The work rate was good and much-improved all over the pitch, so this was purely down to defensive lapses.

Fitzsimons - 6 - Excellent save when they were on top at 2-2, but thought he perhaps could’ve done better with the first. Classy distribution throughout.

Hewitt - 6 - Probably our best defender on the day, decent game at right back. Still would move him into midfield if Tootle’s fit next week.

Turley - 5 - Whole hearted commitment but has the limitations you’d expect from someone whose entire career (except 6 games) has been in non-league before joining us. Looked to switch off for the second.

Ward - 5 - Far too casual, doesn’t offer the leadership the back four needs. Thought he had a really poor game, plenty of mistakes and regularly gave the ball away.

Jones - 4 - Gets a point for the assist for Stead’s opener but other than that had an absolute shocker. Both goals came from his side, nearly gave away another when he didn’t clear a cross from the right and just generally failed to get a handle on his winger all game. Would probably persevere with him as I think Evina is worse but LB a really problem position as it stands.

Thomas - 7.5 - Possibly his best game in a Notts shirt. Big threat going forward but worked harder off the ball than I’ve seen, typified by his pressing which led to the second goal. Not been a fan but no qualms about him starting when he plays like this. Great work for the penalty.

Vaughan- 6.5 - Playing better when used in a three-man midfield, who’d have thought it. Not the conditions for him but good pressing off the ball and quality on it when he did get it. Faded a little second half, but glad Ardley is utilising a player of his quality.

Davies - 7 - Best game yet. Won the ball, gave it simple. Effective performance screening the back four.

Milsom - 5.5 - Put a shift in but second touch is a tackle at the minute. Quality on the ball was non-existent.

Hemmings - 7.5 - Worked tirelessly on his first start in six weeks and showed his undoubted ability on the ball. One good finish and great work led to the opener.

Stead - 8.5* - What more can be said. Scored two, made one and led from the front for the duration. Captain, Leader, Legend.

Evina - 6 - Smart sub, helped to shore up the left side a little if not completely.

Dennis - 7 - Lively cameo. Pressed from the front and nearly scored with his first touch.

Thanks, chaps, for your input on this fred. To guys who can only manage occasional matches, a lively debate about actual performance is so informative. Sounds like Steady was worth a 9 though.

Agree pretty much with Freemuzzy , especially on Jones and Thomas.
    I keep expecting Jones' form to pick up but it just hasn't and he is a liability but still the best LB at the club.
    Thomas closed down and harried all game which made a massive difference to his all round game and us. He's probably on the ball for around four minutes in the game so it's crucial to physically get in oppositions face for the other eighty six minutes and to try and have some effect with the ball for those brief moments. Today he did and if he keeps it up as part of that front three we won't have to defend deep for large spells of the game.

Fair play to Ardley, when he first came he said we have to take pressure off the defence by offering some threat up front and that's what we did today.

On the downside we still let too many crosses in and couldn't defend them when they did. You can keep coaching but there comes a point where you have to say only a change of personnel may do it and a fit Ben Hall and a new left back would improve things.

Seeing us play with some purpose and spirit was great though, just seeing us win second balls and pressing and generally looking interested is already a big improvement on the inept negative dross of the last few home matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    Ha ha! Just saw that now. That's a combination of too much beer and auto-correct on my phone. Let's call it a festive faux-pas!

It seems the general consensus is I've not sufficiently rewarded Stead for his efforts and on reflection agree and think an 8 is warranted. There were a couple of times in the first half where I felt he was looking for cheap free kicks instead of playing to the whistle and so had that in my mind. But, I think that's a bit churlish really considering his overall impact on the game.
    Let's hope he's still around after Christmas.

How anyone can give Vaughan 6.5 is beyond me, the game seems to bypass this guy, slow motion comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Thanks, chaps, for your input on this fred. To guys who can only manage occasional matches, a lively debate about actual performance is so informative. Sounds like Steady was worth a 9 though.
    Sid, I think a 9 would be a point too far for Stead, don't get me wrong he did have a good match... But I would knock a point off him for the stupid tackle he did, which deservedly he received a booking for...Some of the refs we have seen at the lane this season would have sent him off IMO...Thomas was MOTM for me, much improved...

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Stead was at least an 8 today and I give him an extra point for his passion at full time.
    Jones’ confidence is shot. It was almost awkward to watch him at times.
    Great to see how Stead celebrated at the end, just showed how much it meant to him. I also noticed during the game a Tranny player get the hump with him about something and tried to provoke a reaction . The way he just calmed the lad down was a lesson in itself. The man is an absolute credit to himself and profession. Correct decision to book him though, dirty bustard.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I also thought Hewitt was better than normal at RB. I feared the worst when I saw him starting there, but he didn't do much wrong. I was also surprised to see him taking set pieces, but actually he did pretty well there too.
    I've slaughtered Hewitt as a right-back, with just cause, but yesterday he didn't do much wrong. "Better than normal" is probably the best description.

Jones at left-back was the concern. It baffles me how a player of his experience, who has played either left midfield or left-back all his career, can defend that badly. He looks terrified of confronting or tackling any wide player he faces, and yet physically he should be quite an intimidating presence. You could have put a traffic cone in the left-back position yesterday and it would have stopped more balls going into the box. Yes he created a goal and did okay going forward, but defending is his first job and he doesn't do it well enough.

I think I must have been watching a different game as I found Thomas to be quite frustrating at times but thought Vaughan was the best I’d seen him play since joining us and it was no coincidence that we became disjointed once he started to fade second half. Fair play to Ardley for identifying this and bringing on Evina and then changing to a 442 which saw us become an organised unit again.

Fitz now seems to be a sweeper, Hewitt did well at RB for a change, Davies was much improved, and of course Stead and Hemmings back in the team is a big bonus.

As for Jones the less said the better.

It wasn’t a tidy performance by any means but at least there was some commitment from the players which is the minimum as fans we can expect from them. Play like that every week and you will finish mid table so definitely an improvement, let’s hope it continues.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast