+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Livi v Aberdeen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    You’re wandering off down the same path as afc1903mad there. Turn back before it’s too late
    It's not opinion, it's demonstrable truth.

That you are too stupid to grasp it doesn't make it any less so.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    It's not opinion, it's demonstrable truth.

That you are too stupid to grasp it doesn't make it any less so.
    Actually it’s not but don’t let that put you off, fire right in

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Actually it’s not but don’t let that put you off, fire right in
    I apologise for the use of the word stupid. I tried to edit that but couldn't.

But, yes it is.

If you want to evaluate how well anyone is doing their job you need a set of fair criteria by which they can be judged.

There are now a large number of companies earning a living generating stats for the football industry. The can take a league like ours, identify the income or football budgets of each of the members in each of the seasons Deek has been in charge, and produce the predicted outcomes in terms of average league position. You can be absolutely sure the club has access to this information.

So it is perfectly possible objectively to determine whether or not McInnes has or has not outperformed his budget.

But frankly there's no need for a comprehensive statistical exercise, because we're not talking about fine margins here. It's glaringly obvious to anyone with even the most basic grasp of how budgets and probabilities interact in the game that McInnes has outperformed his budget. And although most stattos think that knockout competitions are a much less solid guide to a manager's ability, we've performed even better in cup competions.

I'm not an uncritical cheerleader for the club. I'm no fan of Milne even though I don't think he's the two dimensional baddie some think. I was heavily and repeatedly critical of Brown and McGhee and a long line of other managers who genuinely did under-perform on their budget. In fact, take out some initial honeymoon periods and I've been highly critical of every Aberdeen manger between Fergie and Deek. But the fact is we currently have a manager who has managed us through a period of what, objectively measured, is a sustained period of success after a long series of abject failures and I think it behooves us to be grateful.

In earlier days of this board the Weegia used to slaughter Aberdeen fans for "unrealistic expections" based on 80s success. This board was full of fans denying it was true. The mantra was, we might have been unrealistic at one time but now we know fine we're not going to win leagues and make an impact on Europe. What we're looking for is automatic top 6, maybe top 4 most seasons, and the odd semi-final or final. And I'll admit, I naively swallowed that whole. I thought yeah, we were unrealistic at one time but we've learned.

Well now we've got a guy who's easily delivered the kind of success most of were claiming we'd happily settle for. And a section of our fans - admittedly I think grossly over-represented on here - are whining like beaten dogs about it. The Weegia were not so wrong as we liked to think. Frankly I think it's embarrassing.