+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Livi v Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    Really, you've never mentioned that first sentence before.....or maybe you have, about 27,000,000 times.
    Don’t tell me you’ve come on here and posted 27,000,000 replies that Derek is great and how we’re licky to have him

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Don’t tell me you’ve come on here and posted 27,000,000 replied that Derek is great and how we’re licky to have him
    Eh no. Got bored replying after about the tenth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Yeah jack jarvis explains how the job market works
    I bet you there’s an almost endless supply of wisdom, reflection & thoughtful opinion on many of life’s daily challenges, which would make an excellent read. It’s just a shame he keeps most of his sage advice to himself & we only get rare glimpses of it

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I bet you there’s an almost endless supply of wisdom, reflection & thoughtful opinion on many of life’s daily challenges, which would make an excellent read. It’s just a shame he keeps most of his sage advice to himself & we only get rare glimpses of it

But even when the oracle does speak, we really need a high priest to decipher his words.

A job for afc1903mad

I knew those two were linked but I couldn't work out the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    But even when the oracle does speak, we really need a high priest to decipher his words.

A job for afc1903mad

I knew those two were linked but I couldn't work out the relationship.
    Way......hay.......the usual suspects pop up......happy days and a happy new year to all on footymad Aberdeen.

If some get a laugh so be it, thankfully,if I provide that for the insecure, job done, that aside, I’m genuinely quite content with a’thing going forward to 2019 and wish the once michty and dandies all the best.

Btw the “nuggets” on here, of which there are not many, are quite transparent with their continual posting/moaning regarding our club, if indeed it was constructive/objective criticism.....well fair do’s .......however it seems like Groundhog Day with schoolground nicknames.

As always

SF

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Yes. I'm aware of all the sophistry about Sevco, weak Hearts, weak Hibs and the rest but no-one with a reasonable understanding of how predicted outcomes for a team with our budget in our league would work could doubt it for a second.
    I can see what you are saying,the first season the Huns weren’t in the league we finished in the bottom 6 along with Hibs and Hearts while the likes of Ross County,ICT and St Johnstone finished in the top 6,some people seem to ignore that.

After years of us being a bottom 6 team it was never a guarantee that Browns replacement was going to have us qualifying for Europe every season whether or not the Huns,Hearts and Hibs were in the league,again some people seem to ignore that for some reason.

It’s all ifs & buts but I don’t think Brown would’ve finished bottom six if he stayed for another season. Not that I’m saying he was any good...

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Actually it’s not but don’t let that put you off, fire right in
    I apologise for the use of the word stupid. I tried to edit that but couldn't.

But, yes it is.

If you want to evaluate how well anyone is doing their job you need a set of fair criteria by which they can be judged.

There are now a large number of companies earning a living generating stats for the football industry. The can take a league like ours, identify the income or football budgets of each of the members in each of the seasons Deek has been in charge, and produce the predicted outcomes in terms of average league position. You can be absolutely sure the club has access to this information.

So it is perfectly possible objectively to determine whether or not McInnes has or has not outperformed his budget.

But frankly there's no need for a comprehensive statistical exercise, because we're not talking about fine margins here. It's glaringly obvious to anyone with even the most basic grasp of how budgets and probabilities interact in the game that McInnes has outperformed his budget. And although most stattos think that knockout competitions are a much less solid guide to a manager's ability, we've performed even better in cup competions.

I'm not an uncritical cheerleader for the club. I'm no fan of Milne even though I don't think he's the two dimensional baddie some think. I was heavily and repeatedly critical of Brown and McGhee and a long line of other managers who genuinely did under-perform on their budget. In fact, take out some initial honeymoon periods and I've been highly critical of every Aberdeen manger between Fergie and Deek. But the fact is we currently have a manager who has managed us through a period of what, objectively measured, is a sustained period of success after a long series of abject failures and I think it behooves us to be grateful.

In earlier days of this board the Weegia used to slaughter Aberdeen fans for "unrealistic expections" based on 80s success. This board was full of fans denying it was true. The mantra was, we might have been unrealistic at one time but now we know fine we're not going to win leagues and make an impact on Europe. What we're looking for is automatic top 6, maybe top 4 most seasons, and the odd semi-final or final. And I'll admit, I naively swallowed that whole. I thought yeah, we were unrealistic at one time but we've learned.

Well now we've got a guy who's easily delivered the kind of success most of were claiming we'd happily settle for. And a section of our fans - admittedly I think grossly over-represented on here - are whining like beaten dogs about it. The Weegia were not so wrong as we liked to think. Frankly I think it's embarrassing.

We are where we should be. We should have been 2nd in his first full season and we should have won more than one league cup. Our budget was bigger than anyone but Celtics bar the last two seasons with Sevco...they've been a shambles though. Everything else you mention is not objective but it is sophistry.

If we can't compare McInnes to Fergie or even Clarke, then we can't compare him to Brown or McGhee.

No apology necessary, I dont have the brains I was born with.

As for the rest of the post - miniskirts

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast