+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Curtis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Chinola View Post
    I do sometimes wonder where our delusions of grandeur come from.

We had a player who we let go, ‘one of our own’ as people like to say now, who got a chance at another club and is playing consistently at a higher level while we wallow at the bottom of the league and some on here say we made the right decision and he wasn’t good enough. Strewth

Luckily we replaced him with some real winners...
    I know, it's madness. Curtis would have a far more positive influence on games than David Vaughan is, and at a fraction of the cost. It was right to get rid of Hollis - he was never good enough - but Curtis was at least good enough to be a squad player. As always, our loss is someone else's gain.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    He had a number of chances at CM but didn't really take them. Obviously he's developed now as you say and it's good to see him doing well in L1
    He did take his chance when he was played in his best position. The biggest problem was that we messed him about all the time. In fact, with Bishop injured, Curtis Thompson and Josh Vela (on loan from Bolton) provided the midfield drive for our 'great escape' campaign under Derry.

Let's face it, having released Curtis in the summer, we're sitting rock bottom of League Two while he's just been given a long-term contract by a club in League One after a six month trial period. The facts speak for themselves, as 1961 pie says above. We've dropped a clanger and the manager/fans who didn't rate him obviously haven't got much clue about the type of player you actually need at this level, unlike Gareth Ainsworth who has built a team that's performing well above expectations relative to the resources they have.

We got rid of Curtis Thompson and signed Noor Husin. Nuff said.
    Last edited by jackal2; 07-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Let's face it, having released Curtis in the summer, we're sitting rock bottom of League Two while he's just been given a long-term contract by a club in League One after a six month trial period. The facts speak for themselves, as 1961 pie says above. We've dropped a clanger and the manager/fans who didn't rate him obviously haven't got much clue about the type of player you actually need at this level, unlike Gareth Ainsworth who has built a team that's performing well above expectations relative to the resources they have.
    Well you only had to look at the preseason friendlies to see we was in trouble, as i wrote at the time?

What gets my goat if true? we are paying four and a half thousand a week for that Forest reject Vaughan, and how much was Curtis on fif**** hundred?

Quote Originally Posted by macstop View Post
    Well you only had to look at the preseason friendlies to see we was in trouble, as i wrote at the time?

What gets my goat if true? we are paying four and a half thousand a week for that Forest reject Vaughan, and how much was Curtis on fif**** hundred?
    Yep. I don't know the precise figures but it's a fair bet Vaughan is a lot more expensive than Thompson was. I don't know what we're paying Husin, but it's too much. And of course having let one of our own youth graduates go we've brought in Tom Crawford, who has barely been seen. For all I know he might be another good player being wasted (like the lively Kellett was until the last couple of games), but if we won't play him at a time when those in the team are doing nothing to deserve their position, then will we ever play him?

Like I say above, you could write a book about our recruitment and squad management in recent years and sell it as an example of what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    Regarding Curtis hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Regarding Curtis l always rated him.

Where on Earth do people get the player's 'weekly wage' figures from? Are they guesswork or do they have a basis in info?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Where on Earth do people get the player's 'weekly wage' figures from? Are they guesswork or do they have a basis in info?
    Its a question l have always wondered about maybe they are the players agent or financial advisors, who knows. This Board is full of experts Swale, who knows one may soon appear at a football club near us soon

Not only did we let Curtis go but also Collin and O'Connor, what would they bring to this team now?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Not only did we let Curtis go but also Collin and O'Connor, what would they bring to this team now?
    Correct 1961, too many of the right type of players were allowed to leave this club in the last close. season & now we find ourselves in the thick brown Do Doo. Our Board need to take a look at Centerfield's current situation, & don't come back & tell us, " it will not happen to Notts ".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I don't think so. Nearly all the players we have let go have been poor, the problem is that we've replaced them with the same or worse.
    So many experts on this board.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast