The rest

Samir Carruthers did start the first season back in Championship but fell out of favour and another who seemed the step up was too much. Karl Robinson had him at MK Dons and signed him for Oxford but he got injured and barely played at all. When he did Oxford fans were not that impressed. He has another year on his contract but as with a few others (Holmes etc), finding a taker for him will be tough in terms of his contract situation. Certainly, I do not expect him to ever play for SUFC again. At 25 he still has time to turn things around but this signing has not worked out after some promise in the title winning campaign. Expect United to try and buy him out of his final year if no one comes in as he has been listed.

Nathan Thomas another that was a bit of a gamble. We supposedly beat off interest from Boro to sign him but although he played a few cup games and scored a cracker at Ipswich he was never close to a first team place really and barely was on the bench. He went to Notts County and played 25 games but the fact they were bottom of the whole 92 and they terminated his loan said it all about his success. He went on loan again to Carlisle who were higher up the league. Another that has a year left. I expect he will be on one of the smaller wages and United will cancel his contract to allow him to move on I would think if no one takes him on.

Ricky Holmes was a player Wilder had chased like Ryan Leonard. Holmes chose Charlton instead but after financial issues at the Valley; he came to United eventually. He only played 5 times and another that came to the club in the January transfer window but never really established himself. When he did play, he lacked pace and consistency to earn a regular spot. Preseason with Brooks moving on and before Woodburn signed, he was around the first team and recall watching him play in a poor game at Mansfield. When Woodburn signed, Wilder allowed him to move on and he too went to Oxford. He played a bit more than Carruthers and the U’s fans eulogised about his skills as he scored some long-range beauties but he too got injured. His persistent back problems stopped him playing much at all and in the end his loan was terminated. Strangely Gillingham took him on loan despite him being injured in a gamble he could get fit. He never did and came back. Still contracted to United, he has little future at the Lane. He needs to get himself fit and earn himself another loan or permanent back to League One. Another signing that did not work but also the success of United meant we were simply looking for better quality.

Regan Slater had impressed many when he made a few appearances at Preston and then Ipswich in the cup and seen as a real prospect. He was allowed to go on loan to Carlisle but his time here has been mixed. He had some decent performances and scored a few goals but was in and out of a side that changed managers. He found men’s pro football even at League Two level quite tough. He probably has not quite had the impact Wilder would have wanted and now either will be loaned out again or back in the u23’s. He has another year but will need to kick on and realise the potential he showed 12-15 months ago but not sure with United’s rise it will be here now unless he makes a bigger impression than he did at Carlisle.

Jordan Doherty went on loan to American side Tampa Bay Rowdies, managed by former Blade Neil Collins but barely featured and seemed a nice place to be to play only a few minutes of action! He is still 18 but I am not sure on his contract situation. I believe he may have one more year. He played in the benefit game at Sheffield FC earlier in the season and did ok. He has switched between defence and midfield.

Harvey Gilmour actually had more an impact than Slater as he did really well at Tranmere, scoring a number of goals and putting in several man of the match performances. A bit like with Semple, it was a bit of a surprise when he was allowed to move on permanently but once again the jump from League Two to the tope end of the Championship is huge and at 20 needs to play games. Tranmere had a decent season and he was a regular before he signed but then he was out of the team and has only played briefly from the start since Xmas.

Reece York came in from Fulham and looks neat and tidy and competitive in games I have seen. Both will play more for the u23’s next season.

George Broadbent is a big lad who has played for the u18’s and recently started to feature for the u23’s. Harrison Neal also played for the u23’s during the season.

Next season
A position we had lots od bodies in but with Coutts moving on and a number of others listed, Holmes, Carruthers, Thomas etc we are left with the starting three of Fleck, Norwood and Duffy and Lundstram so we need major investment here. We need to really get that Duffy type player in – whether it be we go back for Freeman at QPR or look elsewhere. James at Swansea and Lolley at Forest been mentioned but we do not really play with wide men and not sure they would work in the ten role. It is ***** we get this player right. Behind him, we need probably two players for both Fleck and Norwood’s position. Seen some reports linking both Joe Allen and Ryan Woods at Stoke and either of them would be very good to provide proper competition. At the moment we have nothing under them, no disrespect to Lundstram or even Bash who could play there. We need some athleticism and power in this area and some more athletic players. We were susceptible to quick, runners from midfield and this will be an even greater issue at a higher level so key we can get some players in to compliment what we have. I think Fleck and Norwood will start but think Duff might be in and out and that signing might be the big one. That and another striker (more later) will be where most of the budget may go I sense.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires)

Midfielders

Paul Coutts Out of contract (2019) - released
Jordan Doherty 1 year (2020)
Regan Slater 1 year (2020)
Nathan Thomas 1 year (2020) – transfer listed
Samir Carruthers 1 year (2020) – transfer listed
Ricky Holmes 1 year (2020) – transfer listed
John Lundstram 1 year (2020)
Mark Duffy 1 year (2020)
John Fleck 2 years (2021)
Oliver Norwood 2 years (2021)

Return to loan club: