+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Info?? Someone Not Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Why? Because I'm not attached to a piece of land? Do you think Swansea fans wish they were back at Vetch Field in League 2? Same goes for Cardiff? How about Derby and Leicester? I don't think you'll find many of their fans wishing to go back to the Baseball Ground and Filbert Street.

Objectively, Meadow Lane is neither successful for us or is it a particularly well designed stadium. The Kop has two massive poles that blocks the view for around 50% of seats. The family stand doesn't give great views. We can't use anywhere close to the capacity of the Sirrel because of how it's designed underneath. The only thought-out stand for the fans sitting in it is the Pavis and even that isn't great. If you sit near the tunnel, you have to access through nearer the sides and walk through and past people sitting down in their seats. Never mind the fact it's not in proportion. The tunnel doesn't line up with the middle of the pitch and the Sirrel is at an angle. One other problem with the Sirrel is that at around 3-4PM, the sun is directly in your eyes. Other than that, the stadium is great...
    All those clubs you mention that moved to new grounds did so because their old grounds were cow sheds that were falling down. Plus they built those new stadiums to allow the clubs to expand and grow to to a higher level.

Meadow Lane is neither a load of cow sheds as it was only rebuilt in the 90’s and doesn’t need to be bigger to help the club grow and expand.

I firmly believe in the case of Notts it would be the opposite to those clubs you mentioned. I think a new ground would be smaller capacity and out of the city say junction 25 or 26 of the M1 for example. Then we really would be stuck in wilderness of non-league forever.

Right now our home is in the sporting hub of the city and close to the main train station and city centre. Ideal for home fans and away fans.

Hopefully the council and Haydn Green Estate will keep it that way between them and give a wide berth to any would be vultures that want to kick us out so they can build on the land.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 02-07-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    All those clubs you mention that moved to new grounds did so because their old grounds were cow sheds that were falling down. Plus they built those new stadiums to allow the clubs to expand and grow to to a higher level.

Meadow Lane is neither a load of cow sheds as it was only rebuilt in the 90’s and doesn’t need to be bigger to help the club grow and expand.

I firmly believe in the case of Notts it would be the opposite to those clubs you mentioned. I think a new ground would be smaller capacity and out of the city say junction 25 or 26 of the M1 for example. Then we really would be stuck in wilderness of non-league forever.

Right now our home is in the sporting hub of the city and close to the main train station and city centre. Ideal for home fans and away fans.

Hopefully the council and Haydn Green Estate will keep it that way between them and give a wide berth to any would be vultures that want to kick us out so they can build on the land.
    Been going down The Lane since the early Fifties. Stadium has changed but it it is still our home.

Why? Because I'm not attached to a piece of land? Do you think Swansea fans wish they were back at Vetch Field in League 2? Same goes for Cardiff? How about Derby and Leicester? I don't think you'll find many of their fans wishing to go back to the Baseball Ground and Filbert Street.

Objectively, Meadow Lane is neither successful for us or is it a particularly well designed stadium. The Kop has two massive poles that blocks the view for around 50% of seats. The family stand doesn't give great views. We can't use anywhere close to the capacity of the Sirrel because of how it's designed underneath. The only thought-out stand for the fans sitting in it is the Pavis and even that isn't great. If you sit near the tunnel, you have to access through nearer the sides and walk through and past people sitting down in their seats. Never mind the fact it's not in proportion. The tunnel doesn't line up with the middle of the pitch and the Sirrel is at an angle. One other problem with the Sirrel is that at around 3-4PM, the sun is directly in your eyes. Other than that, the stadium is great...
    Oh come on, I love ML. It's pretty much as good as it gets for a lower-league club. It's capacity allows us to at least dream that we can improve as a club, and makes big games - like the playoff semi the season before last - genuinely feel big. The Kop is awesome. Amazing sound, amazing view (mostly). Anyway, have you seen most lower-league grounds? They are genuine **** holes.

If we have to move to survive then so be it, but I would rather not. As others have said, ML is our spiritual home. I just can't imagine feeling the same way about another, newer stadium. Plus, I fear that any move would see us downgrade to a tinpot 10k job on the edge of town, which is basically like saying we have no ambition to ever rise up the leagues again (not that I think we will, but it's nice to dream).
    Last edited by slack_pie; 03-07-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Another point: people keep going on about how valuable the land is under ML, but what about the land near ML? Wouldn't it be easier to build on the land behind the JS stand, where the cattle market is? Wouldn't it be more convenient for everyone to lose an army supplies shop than a historic football stadium?

That part of the city is full of valuable land that is ripe for development. I just don't get why the land under ML is attracting so much interest, to the point where people are literally willing to buy a football club just to potentially acquire it.

Pirate treasure under the penalteh spot?

Exactly. I would doubt any Notts county staff of any level below senior management have had any dealings. Ardley has only had a brief conversation with the South African group I believe Leigh Curtis said so highly doubt office staff would know anything
    Did Ardley watch Spitting Image on YouTube too?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In which case, you're either breaching confidentiality or making sh*t up.
    More bullsheite..

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Pirate treasure under the penalteh spot?
    All you'll find there are ashes from a few dead blokes Pete Thompson buried there years ago..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Another point: people keep going on about how valuable the land is under ML, but what about the land near ML? Wouldn't it be easier to build on the land behind the JS stand, where the cattle market is? Wouldn't it be more convenient for everyone to lose an army supplies shop than a historic football stadium?

That part of the city is full of valuable land that is ripe for development. I just don't get why the land under ML is attracting so much interest, to the point where people are literally willing to buy a football club just to potentially acquire it.
    Exactly, it's all bull bull bull...

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

You "firmly believe" a new buyer would build a new stadium near the M1? Knowing the home support woud drop to about a quarter of what it is now? How are the home supporters supposed get there? The fans of non-league clubs ain't going to turn up in their thousands you know, just because we're that bit easier to get to.

New owners will have looked into possible crowd numbers, they will be aware that in the first season Conference teams will be a novelty to us and it may be away supporters only chance of visiting The Oldest...etc. Next year, if we are still in non-league, we're not so new, home support and away visitor numbers will plummet.

As I see it, the only way to avoid a catastrophic collapse of Notts County and a massive financial loss for whoever owns us, is for them to invest heavily in a new team and maybe a proven manager capable of finding the right way to achieve success in this league and the next.

To maintain goodwill they must also avoid the mistakes of Messrs Trew and Hardy and keep a low profile, well away from (anti?)social media.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast