+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrewsbury Town Post Match Thoughts

Yep, a great confidence building result.

A good fixture to allow the squad to settle and gel.

Thank you for your match Thoughts, good to hear some positive news, well done millers, please keep up the good Work,.! !

We lost to a Lincoln team on Saturday that out ran, out tackled an out foxed us an it’s meltdown.

We beat a Shrewsbury team with numerous reserves in a crap cup an we’re world beaters.

Pass the Prozac...

Barlaser MOM. On the Tuesday Night at Shrewsberry thread I said we should persevere with him though several posters had decided he was crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Just a thought on formation... I don't think that a purist "Magic Roundabout" 4-3-3 makes the best of our forwards' attributes. A more effective compromise would be keep Smithy in the middle where he is most effective and allow the more flexible Vassell and Freddie to keep swapping positions, if that is what Warney desires. The two "Smith nods cross down for Freddie to score" goals so far look like a good route for us to put the ball in the opposition net, and if we can get the same crosses from the other wing Vassell will be able to do the same

Was thinking the same thing Mike. Smith the target man with these two playing off him. Smith shouth be the focal point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    Just got in and we have had a reaction.

The "attitude" was right tonight! I was out of my mind after Saturday as many were and I was always someone who said if you haven’t got anything good to say - shut yer gob!

Well I got older and I now think that without making a rather large point - a great big screaming complaint about Saturdays "attitude" things wouldn't change.....

If we had tonight's attitude we'd have strolled past Lincoln and the "attitude" is the managers main job.

Tonight we out played them - passing and movement AND WE SHOT. Every player played well with zero black marks. Only one chance for Shrewsbury was a trademark Wood being turned and chasing his player into the box - we were lucky not to concede then. But that was it.

Comfortable - but comfortable because we wanted it more and played as a team.

From abject depression to a -yup marten we might have a team here....but only if they're sent out with the right "attitude".

Borrow a hairdryer if necessary...but chalk and cheese night tonight. NYS far superior ground as well - makes you appreciate home comforts.

Keep it up....please !

Not sure it's as simple as that. The early goals were crucial, we started well against Lincoln but found them a typical stubborn, hard working/tackling team playing not to concede. If you don't get an earlyish goal against such teams, and the early pressure doesn't pay, it can fizzle out - especially with new players gelling. Whereas teams coming at us on their ground can leave gaps for the 3 up front.

It's for Warne to adjust against the different challenges. I think the attitude, if not fully there yet, isn't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Not sure it's as simple as that. The early goals were crucial, we started well against Lincoln but found them a typical stubborn, hard working/tackling team playing not to concede. If you don't get an earlyish goal against such teams, and the early pressure doesn't pay, it can fizzle out - especially with new players gelling. Whereas teams coming at us on their ground can leave gaps for the 3 up front.

It's for Warne to adjust against the different challenges. I think the attitude, if not fully there yet, isn't the problem.
    This is spot on so far as I'm concerned. Who doubted that we would make chances away from home? Who doubted that if we actually took a couple of them early on the team would relax and play some good stuff? A different test will be at home against sides that look to frustrate and precisely where we don't score early. It's not attitude - that is imo an insult to the team and manager.

"Richard Woods the captain
    He should wear the captains hat
    Get him back into the bloody team
    I think its just as simple as that"

There are of course other reasons, but, and I didn't go, I wonder if the defence looked better organised. I know that Shrewsbury made 8 changes but we were up against Morrison, who is nobody's mug.

Thoughts?

Wood will play his part this season.
    Warne will manage when he plays him and against who?
    His experience will be a big asset this season.

As for last night a good solid performance.
    We took our chances that was the difference than against Lincoln although obviously we played better.
    We should all have some patience with the Manager and the team.
    Consistency is what we need and that takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecarling View Post
    We lost to a Lincoln team on Saturday that out ran, out tackled an out foxed us an it’s meltdown.

We beat a Shrewsbury team with numerous reserves in a crap cup an we’re world beaters.

Pass the Prozac...
    You make a good point, however, winning games of football and winning them well breeds confidence whoever you are playing and maybe one or two have gone a little over the top with the plaudits, but the result and performance gives us all a lift, especially after the lincoln match.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast