+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

The worlds gone pc mad.

There was a time a footballer could get arrested and not have to endure all this self-serving snowflake rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    If you think kids don’t look up to players then you don’t know kids

The club have drink awareness sponsors, one of these players is reported to have been on their course the day before.

An example should be made, it’s clearly obvious what they did and should be suspended pending the court hearing imo

I've been a teacher for longer than I can remember and work with some of the most vulnerable children imaginable. I think I do know kids. I know they look up to role models. It doesn't mean they emulate their negative actions. Infact it is the opposite.

Being a Nirvana fan doesn't mean you have to be a suicidal smackhead. Looking up to Gazza's footballing genius doesn't make anyone want to be a wife beating pisshead.

It is excuses for much more complex issues. The role model syndrome for crime, drugs, et al is too simplistic. Especially when dealing with children.

Scum, sorry, too much for some on here to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I've been a teacher for longer than I can remember and work with some of the most vulnerable children imaginable. I think I do know kids. I know they look up to role models. It doesn't mean they emulate their negative actions. Infact it is the opposite.

Being a Nirvana fan doesn't mean you have to be a suicidal smackhead. Looking up to Gazza's footballing genius doesn't make anyone want to be a wife beating pisshead.

It is excuses for much more complex issues. The role model syndrome for crime, drugs, et al is too simplistic. Especially when dealing with children.
    I don’t agree with some of what your saying but I’m not getting into an argument over it.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    The worlds gone pc mad.

There was a time a footballer could get arrested and not have to endure all this self-serving snowflake rubbish.
    When was that?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    But what do you want to happen to them when the court cases are finished and they have completed any sentence imposed upon them?

If Derby were to keep them on they would have had a break on full pay. If Derby were to sack them (assuming that is a possibility under the terms of their contracts) they would have no difficulty finding a new club (as demonstrated by Lee Hughes).
    they should have been suspended until the court case.
    What happens after that is down to the club and players

I don’t agree with some of what your saying but I’m not getting into an argument over it.
    Many don’t agree with that opinion and I respect that.

It’s more the assumption that anyone that holds the opposite opinion to you doesn’t understand children which is wide of the mark.

Arguing isn’t my style but I understand what you’re saying.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    If these lads are convicted of drink driving only, the maximum sentence is six months which means three to actually serve (and nobody gets the maximum). If their lawyers get their timing right and they are sentenced in May, they might not miss a competitive game. And, of course, they may well not get a custodial sentence. In other words, it's unlikely that any sentence will drive them down the pyramid.

Ched Evans recently got a £800 000+ payout from his original legal team.
    Lots of things could affect a players ability after a stint in prison such as harassment from inmates, confidence, lack of fitness facilities in prison, match sharpness issues, potential legal challenges from Richard Keogh, harassment from fans and public.

You actually mentioned Lee Hughes before me and he was never the same player again.
    I agree that some clubs would offer them a contract but whether a prison sentence would allow them to pick up where they left off isnt as simple as you
    make out for the reasons ive listed

The £800 k for Evans that you cite will be small beer in terms of what he went through and his lost earnings / endorsements

The Derby fans sang Lawrence's name for large periods of last nights game and Keogh's too and when Mason Bennett came on in the second half they gave him a heroes welcome .

I can't say I would be so supportive of the fun boy three if I were a Derby fan but that's up to them .

The way I see it these three are paid exceptional money by Derby County and it isn't ask for much during the season that they keep off the beer .

I feel like having a good drink on a sunday but I've work the next day and I have to drive not to mention H&S in the workplace so I don't .

they should have been suspended until the court case.
    What happens after that is down to the club and players
    I don't get the point that you are making here. What happens is down to the club and players both before and after the court case. How are you drawing a distinction between the two?

I still don't get what is said to be the purpose of suspending them. On the face of it, the club acted responsibly by laying on transport for the players. Why should they now be required to pay employees for not working?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast