+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Dunnett

No Jack Dunnett, no Jimmy Sirrel.

Doubt the club will ever repeat the success they had under Mr Dunnett.
    RIP.

Obviously appointing Jimmy Sirrel and overseeing our most successful era post-war is what he'll mainly be remembered for, but wasn't he also an important figure in setting up Lifeline? It's quite a legacy that something he helped establish over thirty years ago continues to support the club and played an role in helping the staff during the crisis of this summer.

RIP Jack, probably wasn’t appreciated as much as he should have been at the time, but a very good chairman in hindsight.

R I P . Jack, many thanks for Sir Jimmy & the start of the greatest years l have seen at the Lane.
    Give All Our Best Regards to Jimmy & Jack.

You are all together again.

It isn’t always a popular approach but he ran a club like an owner should - don’t spend money you haven’t got. I remember the collection to buy Glenn Roeder which was organised during his time. I suppose it’s too late to ask for my money back now!!😂
    RIP Jack and thanks for the good times.

I suppose it was fitting that we should win 4-0 tonight as a reminder of those great days when he was at the helm.

RIP Jack Dunnett - responsible for some wonderful times at our football club and some of my happiest football memories.

Almost impossible to imagine a local politician becoming a club owner these days, but Jack was also MP for (I think) Nottingham East while he ran Notts. He also somehow found time to head the entire Football League - which is also impossible to imagine nowadays, and I seem to recall some very frustrated "Big Six" clubs making digs at their fate being determined by the owner of a small club while he was at the helm.

His legacy is the Meadow Lane end. For many years it was a bit of an eyesore and oddity, but brought in some much-needed revenue (sadly, as it turns out, also to Dunnett himself, who collected rent on it for years before selling it to Derek Pavis, who did likewise).

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Sad news, but 97 years is no mean achievement. It brings to mind the saying that you only really miss things when they've gone.
    Jack Dunnett was the chairman when I started supporting Notts in the 1969-70 season, and in all honesty he wasn't too popular among the fans. Fortunately there was no social media back then, but in the late 70s when we were top end of Division 2 any defeat was often accompanied by comments like "Dunnett told them to lose because he doesn't want us to get to Division 1". Those comments were proved to be wrong when we did get to Division 1. Jack Dunnett knew how to run a football club. He didn't randomly splash the cash because he knew it was unsustainable. To put this in perspective for younger fans, under Jack Dunnett we played Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal as equals. Now we are playing Woking, Ebbsfleet and Boreham Wood as equals.

As Old_pie says, I hope the club show their appreciation. Under the Reedtz brothers, I'm sure they will.
    In the early 1970's Notts were looking at a promising young winger playing for Sc*nthorpe who wanted £35,000 for him. Sirrell wanted him but while Dunnett was humming and aah-ing and lets have another look at him, Bill Shankly, who had politely allowed Notts to make their mind up first, then signed this young lad who went on to captain, and then manage, England.

Somewhere, in the dusty vaults of the BBC, there is film of an interview with Bill Shankly telling of how he signed - Kevin Keegan.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    In the early 1970's Notts were looking at a promising young winger playing for Sc*nthorpe who wanted £35,000 for him. Sirrell wanted him but while Dunnett was humming and aah-ing and lets have another look at him, Bill Shankly, who had politely allowed Notts to make their mind up first, then signed this young lad who went on to captain, and then manage, England.

Somewhere, in the dusty vaults of the BBC, there is film of an interview with Bill Shankly telling of how he signed - Kevin Keegan.
    The Best Chairman this football club ever had. RIP Jack .

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

Ruud Guilit was another to slip the net under Dunnett. Think Ray Clemmence was another. If only he had took a gamble on Roeder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast