+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everest Base Camp

Where did you go to afloat?

We should be OK on the flight - it is with Yeti Airways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcjwaDUn3fg

Ohhhhhh! 59-60, You will not get me doing the Everest base Camp thingy,and any further stuff. i have stopped playing with Nature now. Isn't that for young uns? You live in the cold, wet, rainy north of England.So now you want to go into temperatures of minus ''that''? Has Brexit done this too you? Look what about visiting a Russian prison,or a Turkish jail? What next 'Gaza'? Look we are older now ,so look, my idea of doing things for charity is to be on a beach surrounded by attractive women, sipping cocktails, whilst some 'chick' cuts my nails .But I am getting older ,once there used to be 5 women,but now down to 3 ??

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Where did you go to afloat?...
    It was 30+ years ago, when we walked in from Jiri, up to base camp/kalapathar then across to Gokyo Lakes and back down to fly out from Lukla; we were on the last plane to leave there for four days due to heavy cloud so other friends who weren't, had to walk out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by afloatinclaret View Post
    It was 30+ years ago, when we walked in from Jiri, up to base camp/kalapathar then across to Gokyo Lakes and back down to fly out from Lukla; we were on the last plane to leave there for four days due to heavy cloud so other friends who weren't, had to walk out as well.
    Well done afloat!

How did the altitude affect you? That is the great unknown for us.

Well done afloat!

How did the altitude affect you? That is the great unknown for us.
    Come on 59/60.. He's still Floatin about..lol

...How did the altitude affect you? That is the great unknown for us.
    It will sadly remain unknown until you try: My only problem due to altitude in Nepal was a bruised head: On the night at Gorak Shep when 23 of the 24 people in the hut didn't sleep a wink, an Aussie lad got so p1ssed-off by the sound of my snoring that he threw a walking boot at me; apparently I just muttered a bit, rolled over and carried on sleeping/snoring. Rather than the months of walking and fitness preparation/training that most people went in for ahead of their trek, we came directly to Jiri from three months in south India, having pretty much been pissed or stoned for the most part, spiced-up with a bout of amoebic-dysentry, I was also (and still am) a twenty-a-day smoker, so when we all sort of met up on the first evening, I was the one that everyone identified as 'the guy who's not going to make it'. Yet I turned out to be the one who was constantly backtracking to help, encourage and carry packs for those who were struggling; my reasoning for finding the altitude 'easy' to cope with, was that as the going got progrssively tougher, I was getting fitter, besides which, with my cigarette habit, 50% oxygen was about normal anyway.
    However, only about six months later we were in northern Borneo climbing Kota Kinabalu - 4000m/13500' - and I didn't make it to the top, in part at least due to altitude sickness and just last year we were in Peru and Ecuador at a similar altitudes (lake Titicaca) and for a couple of days at least I was dog-rough. So you just can't tell who will/won't suffer from it and you can't even say for sure that if you've been OK once, you will be the next time.

The best cure/antidote I've found is chewing coca leaves (from which they extract cocaine) or even coca sweets, but I doubt that you'll find those in Nepal, so drink lots - as much tea/water as you can force down - gain altitude as slowly as your program allows and 'walk like a local' on the ascents: Small steps, slow steps but constant steps, try to keep moving, no matter how slowly you're going, it works much better than stop/starts

As I said before, good luck.

I quite like the "imbibe cocaine" idea. Takes me back to when I was living in California in the 80's!

Trip of a lifetime 59_60. For those of us who can't travel far due to caring commitments, lots of photos please. Take care and keep safe.

Read today of a Cardiff lad who sadly passed away in his sleep, in his tent in the base camp, from oxygen deprivation. Keep breathing pal.

Setting off at 2.00 this afty and flying into Kathmandu.

If all goes according to plan we should reach base camp on Sunday 17th.

I'll put you all right on the election when I get back on 26th.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)